1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buy a used Grandstand or 2010?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AdamChrap, Jan 18, 2010.

1. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

I am planing on buying a Grandstand in the spring. i can buy a new 2010 for $6300 + Tax or a used demo with full warranty, 133hrs for $5000 + Tax.

What do you think?
    Normally I say no brainier save the $1300 but is there big differences on the 2010? I have heard of faster ground speed.
  2. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 2009 and I think it would be worth the extra money to get a 2010 because the engine is now mounted to the frame and not the deck, on the 2009 the weight of the deck and engine were cracking the frame when the deck asist wasnt working and that was very often, plus the 2009 had many bolts come loose and fall off due to the factory not correctly torquing them.
  3. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

that's not an easy decision but i would get the 2010...not that i dislike ours by any means but they did make a few major upgrades not to mention all of the small things like loose hardware among a few others to the '010...

about the groundspeed...they had a problem with the hydros not matching up on the majority if not all of the '09 grandstands...they have now corrected this therefore the machine runs at the speed it is supposed to unlike the '09's which i guess yes makes them faster but this doesn't mean they upgraded the hydros or anything like that...this is what an actual rep from toro in minnesota told me, so if they did indeed make the grandstands faster, which wouldn't be a bad decision, then it is within the last month or so
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  4. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

This isn't gonna be easy. The 09 actually is from my dealer and said all the upgrades have been done and the machine has gone through.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

ya, that's where ours stand as well...i guess what you are looking at is two main upgrades which are...

1. Deck height shocks are now replaced with springs

2. Engine now mounted on frame and not deck so it stays in one central area and doesn't move up and down with the deck...(this is the first i've heard of this)

other than that there have been a LOT of minor upgrades as simple as tightening bolts to the '09's...last i checked ours were at 12 "upgrades"...

if i was you the main thing i would do is test drive the 09 your dealer has...push the levers as far as they can go in forward, then do reverse...even though most hydros won't perfectly match up they should be damn close, so if this one has an obvious stronger hydro, which is usually the left, then you have a problem and you can figure out what you are going to do from there...mine are being updated right now so you an always get that fixed
  6. Pat'sPerfectLawnService

Pat'sPerfectLawnService LawnSite Senior Member

reading the pros and cons about the 2009 and what they are going to do to the 2010 i would go with the 2010. good luck with what ever year you go with.
  7. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the 2010.
  8. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a 2009 in the In Auto Trader in Auburn In for 3995.00 with 135hrs.
  9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i say 2010. the deck mounted to the deck has never been a good thing imo. the wright sentars(finally canned) were this way and we had nothing but issues with them.
  10. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

ID say so, I wouldn't want two decks mounted together!! lol. JK!!!