Buy a Walker????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Well I use a 60" Dixie Chopper and I love the machine. I was thinking of buying a smaller Walker to do the backyards rather than push mow, and it seems I am getting more and more properties that want to be bagged. I am wondering whether I should get a Walker. I probably have 10-15 accounts and growing w/ backyards that need to be mowed. I don't want to really spend over 3k on a walker b/c it will be used so little as compared to my dixie. I would also think of marketing the bagging as well mulching w/ the dixie. But would a Walker under 3k just be a maintanence hassle? What about the older chain drives? Are they junk? Are aerators super expensive for these machines? Should I just get a 36" walkbehind w/ bagging capabilities? Also how are Walkers when things are wet, would they be better than the dixie when wet? Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck finding one for 3k. If you do it will more than likely be a money pit. Take your 3k and buy yourself a good 36" walk behind. ED

3. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I looked for used Walkers over the last month or so and found nothing in that price range. 4k and up and they need some work. I ended up buying a new 26hp 42" GHS.

They do clog when it's wet. THe new aerator attachment is about 3k I believe.

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I would get a floating hydro walkbejind with bagging capabilities because like you said it will be a maintenance problem probably.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Walkers are the bomb. Good luck finding a used one period, let alone one for $3K in decent shape.

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest a good floating deck 36" HYDRO wb with a tracvac. :)

7. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Ive owned a DC, walkers and the aereator for the walker...If you only want to spend 3k i agree with the others buy a WB. Walkers are great machines and will be profitable to your LCO if you dont buy a junky one. Also the aerator (Its called a perfareator) is $3500. But I wouldnt suggest putting it on a walker with less than 20HP and would recommend a 25 or 26HP machine. They can clogg if its really wet and the grass is to long this is why you definitly want a tilt up deck also (More $) it only takes me about 30 seconds to unplug and as you become more familar with the machine this will not happen alot...Ive mowed in downpours and dint get clogged. The walker is far more versitle than the DC and you will find more uses for it than just bagging grass, such as spring clean-up, areation, getting under low trees and brush, dethatching....and with the tilt-up deck it so much easier to change blades...but look out after you get off your hotrod..ie DC the walker will seem very slow. But in the long run it is a money maker and I wouldnt trade mine.

8. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

walkers are great. i would not trade mine for anything....except two more just like it. but however good luck finding one for under 3k. think about buying a new w/b w/ bagging capabilities. if you still have your mind set on a walker then buy a new one, you will not be sorry they really are great machines.

9. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

keep an eye on Ebay
    seems the Walkers are going pretty cheap these days....and the Exmarks are like gold...saw walkers all winter at 3500.00 with about 1200 to 1500 hours. Iwould pass on the Chain drives in commercial work

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

So Walkers under 3k are junk huh? Why hydro? My mexican will be using it mostly probably so why the hydro? Can I find floating decks on belt drives? I guess bagging on a walkbehind would be a grass gobbler? That would suck for leaf jobs. I really can't justify a walker over 4k. Dang those aerators are alot mula!!!