buy accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willretire@40, Jul 23, 2008.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Found a company selling 75 clients that I have had for 5-8 years. They cut 60per week and average $45 a cut and they range from 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre. One guy cuts just about all of them expect the owner helps him once a week and the employee would come on with me. How much is it worth? No contracts. Also all these clients are in my city.

2. willretire@40

from VA

3. willretire@40

from VA

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

there not worth as much without a contract

5. willretire@40

from VA

6. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I bought 18 from a guy over 2 years ago, paid (2) mowings for each referral, about 1800.oo total. Still have 17 today. Best investment I ever made. I have spent more money some months advertising with zero return. I would definately do it again.

7. dapiccolawn

dapiccolawn LawnSite Member

I think what MSLAWN said about paying for 2 cuts per account up front would be a good deal. Another way to look at things as well is if the existing employee comes over, and he/she is good(as I would assume) it sounds like you have a lot of potential.

You may also be able to work a deal as far as paying a percentage at the end of the year for accounts retained. Might be a little more bargaining leverage.

But with an employee coming on that already knows the ropes and particulars of each client.. You should be OK.
    -Dave

8. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the same boat right now trying to buy (30) off a guy quitting the business. Offered (2) cuts possibly (3) after looking @ the books and the jobs themselves. Offered to sub contract for a month for a easy transition for him, myself, and his customers.
    Guy told me I was nuts.. lol Won't respond or explain what is nuts of the offer.
    Must be one of those fools thinking he can get a couple months revenue out of each !!

Glad it worked out for you.....My thoughts were it couldn't get any easier for the $$$ involved to start with an established territory

9. willretire@40

from VA

I offered him 8 cuts worth which equals $20k for the accounts he counter offered $50k. guess he will b keeping the company.