1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buy anything or barter with a customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else ever buy anything from a customer or barter your work for something? I have bartered storage, mowers and have also bought mowers from customers not using them anymore.
  2. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i traded two lawns mowings ($80) for a table saw with stand once. worked out great i was building a 12x38 deck on the back of the house so i saved a few hundred on a new saw.
  3. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I mow for the owner of Arbys in my town- he pays me twice my cash rate in gift certificates, works out great for my wife because my kids love it and she gets a night off each week. We give them as gifts or bonuses to my employees, too.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I traded with one customer 1 season of lawn mowing for a 1990 f150 ford pick up
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I have a good customer that sells computers. Will be buying my 3rd one from him today. He is also quick to pick up the phone and let me earn my money back.

That's the best kind
  7. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a truck for $1000. I offered the guy t0 do his yard for the truck. He said no. Then he calls me and asks if I will do his yard. Its a $35 yard so about $980 season total. I think he wanted to do it but didnt trust me that I would show back up to do his yard in the summer. Very understandable these days.

I did a contract with my customer and all were happy
  9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

absolutely understandable
  10. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

all the time bater truck and trailer storage for maintenance, also ny autobody guy what ever damage that happens during the winter he takes care of, and my truck mechanic we hand each other our bills at the end of the season and just knock off each others prices and see who owes who what