buy bus. or start from scratch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by schmidtmeister, Nov 15, 2003.

1. schmidtmeister

schmidtmeister LawnSite Member

Hello. I have been debating whether to buy an existing LCO small business or start from the ground up. I have several questions and could use your advice:

Q. Determining a fair price on used equipment? How many hours does a Stander 36' have in it? A Grasshopper 220? Life expectancy+ maintainence costs - hours, gen. condition of equipment = msrket value? How many years/hours could I expect from the used equipment. The mowers have 260 and 285 hours on them.

Q. Should I buy used trimmers and a BP blower, (both have about two full seasons on them. Should I buy new...Echo, Sthil, Redman, Shin.? I plan to be cutting mostly 12=18,000 sq ft. lawns
    Q. What's a decent price for a 6 x 12 ft. trailer with flipdown tailggates and a wood floor and wired for brake lights?

Q. The guy I'm talking is offering to 'sell' me his yards. About 15 of them in the $35-$40 range. What's a fair price for a 32-35 week grass and leaf season?

Q. What to look for in selecting/bidding yards? Any formulas you guys use?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I would guess you don't have alot of experience in lc if you need to ask these ?? You need to think real hard if you even want to get into it and if the answers yes then start out small till you know what you will need. The guy who want to sell has a good reson for selling try to find out why? HINT its not becoase he's making to much money

Mac

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

With what your getting I would keep my money, invest it in getting started and run from there. He isn't offering much for whatever the price.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Answer: Used mower? Probably not unless it was a dealer demo.

Answer: Used trimmer or bp? Definately not.

Answer: There really isn't much of a "sale". Hopefully, just a smooth transition if you want to offer him the equivalent of one week' lawn mowing revenue since there are probably no contracts and "alligance" in this industry can be fleeting (to say the least).