Buy cheap mower ? or trust a good one ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Todd's lawncare, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

A guy has about 5 acers and its rough !! Lots of big stone brick and things of that nature . I suggested to have it raked and remove stone and brick he said now just mow it. I wont put a good mower on it . And to weed eat it would take just to long . My other idea is to buy a cheap rider and put some new blades on and turn one of my guys lose on it . What do you think would be best ?

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever damage that place would do to a nice commercial mower, I expect it will be much MUCH worse with a cheap one. What is he paying? Will it cover buying and destroying a piece of equipment?

I might try one of those DR mowers with the "bladeless mowing" kit which basically tirns it into a 26" string trimmer. I always wanted to see how those things worked. So, if I was going to buy something to sacrifice to this guy's place, that would be it.

Like I said, though, he'd have to pay me enough to make it worthwhile.

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepAccessories.aspx?Name=FieldBrush2Step&Chap=FABOptions&SiteEntryMode=1&BC=0%3aHome&LinkType=3

3. Todd's lawncare

from P.A

One cut would cover the cheap mower but i don't wanna buy one every time . He said it can but cut with the deck up all the way even if it can i don't wanna chance a good mower on it . I have one of them two wheeled weed eaters but it would take so long still . It's a 400 a month job so .

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I don't see how you can make any money on this property at $20 an acre. If it's every 2 weeks then it still would be bad at $40 an acre unless it was flat, smooth and didn't grow much in two weeks and if your normal mower would do the job in 5 hours or less.

A $100-$200 rider isn't going to last long on 5 acres and it will take longer to cut with such a cheap rider too. I would pass on the property. It will end up costing you money to mow it. Unless it was flat, smooth and you owned a wide area mower that could get the job done fast.

At the very least tell this guy he needs to supply the mower for that price. Then if he agrees throw an employee on it.

Your profile says you have been in business for 2 years. How do you cut properties this cheap and afford employees? I can see why you need employees with those rates, but how do you afford to pay them. This is an honest question, I am not trying to bash you. I would like to hear more about your operation.

5. Todd's lawncare

from P.A

I knew that was coming . Heres the answer it's 5 total only about 1 1/2 to 2 to cut the rest is a loading dock i did take some pics ill post when i can and i did it last year but with a weed eater am looking to do it faster . And i don't only mow. I went in to a hauling company and added mowing i only mow two days a week now the rest is clean outs , hauling scrap , and a trash route . I or should i say we have a family paving company to. And do firewood and coal in the winter . Does this sum it up ?

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

That helps :) I hope you know I wasn't bashing you and that is why I asked. I was just concerned and thought you might have been making some mistakes that could be corrected before they came back to haunt you. Now I see that might not be the case.

Only you can answer the question you asked, but maybe we can help some. First, determine how long it will take to cut with a rider. Then take your cost including a rider that will last and figure if there is enough left over to make you happy.

If the rider will save you time then you can use some of that money saved for a better rider that will last. I know I couldn't find a rider around here for $100 that would last a season on a rough property. I am assuming $100 is one cut price, but even at bi-weekly $200 would be hard pressed to find.

7. Todd's lawncare

from P.A

It should be able to be done in less then 45 min with a rider. There a guy who buys them wholesale by the load and puts them up for sale . He has two now one is a bolens looks half way good i think its a 48 or 52 in cut . At least you didn't start off saying your a low balling scrub for doing 5 for 400 a month . How the cuttin in St.Louis ? I'll be there in end of July if all works out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Todd's lawncare

from P.A

It's 200 a cut bi-weekly

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

In the same situation. I need a junk mower to mow this guys field. Thing is he wants it mowed every week. Less than an acre for 100 each time. How can I turn that money down. I figure after the first cut I will be sitting very nice at maybe an hour with drive time. No trimming at all. If I can find a cheap rider to abuse I also have lots of other work to use it on.
    There are alot of rocks and I figure the first time mowing it will take 2-3 hours moving rocks and putting them in stacks but after that all I have to do is let her fly.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, I would just throw an old set of blades on, raise the deck all the way up, charge enough, and have at it. Cut it very slowly, and once you've done it a few times, you can start to lower it a bit. I would waste the money on another mower. Another option would be tell him that you will need to bring a bush hog in, first. It may be (or maybe not) be a little more at first. This will cut and clear the way. for you to see.