Buy Echo trimmer from Home Depot?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, Feb 26, 2009.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

I know Home Depot doesn't service anything and a lot of their machines are crap, but I looked at an Echo Pro trimmer there for $279. I really liked the feel and design of it. Very well put together or it seemed to be. Should I avoid buying it since it's from Home Depot? It's the only place in town I can find that trimmer.

2. lawncare010

lawncare010 LawnSite Member

i bought a echo srm 230 trimmer from there about 3 years ago and it is still runnig like new

3. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

I personally would buy it from home depot only because my dealer sells it at the same price and it builds a working relationship with him. would home depot take a part off a floor model to get you up and running if that what it took? I doubt it but the dealer that you buy most of your equipment from will.

4. Okiebug003

Okiebug003 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't feel bad about buying one from home depot, but if there is a dealer around I would buy it from them. Echo makes a great product, you won't be disapointed.

5. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

home depot doesn't appreciate you business like your small local dealer would.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

the problem with the Echo equipment sold at the hope depot is not the quality...IT'S THE WARRANTY SERVICE.

If it breaks within warranty..count on a good month without the unit while it get's fixed somewhere.

These kinds of things just don't happen with the local dealers.

7. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the echos as heavy as those 4 cycle Honda trimmers? The one I tried out seemed reasonably light while the ones at the dealer seemed much heavier.

8. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got the 230 or 210 and 261T's and 280T. Like the 261 the best 280 is to heavy but has got alot of power. Dont like the handles on the new ones. A job I have takes 5hrs to weedeat and the handles with the bump in the rear of the grip will almost give you a blister with no gloves runnin it this long. Like the old straight grip better. Also use man. heads dont like the auto jobs because you use to much line. I wont buy anything but the 261T or what ever replace it.

9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

To answer, NO don't buy your equipment from HD! The dealers sell for the same price and they service.

As far as someone talking about weight, the 265 is stinking heavy compared to my Stihl FS130!

I could not believe how heavy it was compared to Stihl.

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Exactly! But just for the record... there is no difference in the product. Ive had to buy Echo trimmer heads on a Sunday and no dealer was open so up to Home Depot I went and found them for a few bucks cheaper. Typically saving only a few bucks wouldn't prevent me from buying it at my dealer but it was just a bonus that day.