Buy it or not .....2001 Toro355

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jusmowin, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

While at the Toro dealer today I see a Z355 and start looking it over . Sales rep comes over and tells me it can be mine for $3000. I know there has been MIXED reveiwes on this machine so I wanted to see what yall thought of it or if its worth the money. Sooo, hears what it is
    2001 Toro Z355
    25 Kohler W/800 plus hours
    all UPDATES have been done
    Machine is clean and in good shape
    Dealer will not give any warntey
    $3000.00

I demoed the machine in the parking lot and mowed a 40x50 patch of grass (nice quality cut)and the machine handled well.
    So tell me what yall think.....Buy this machine NOW or Wait till spring and buy a Toro Z500. Thanks for any help!

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Dealer will not give any warntey

Nup, these machines have expensive parts, gearboxes, spindles, bearings, blower assembly, electric sencor in the bagger etc, etc.
    800 hours is far from new....price is fair, contractors buying 2nd hand machinery scares me, no warrantee from a dealer even on second hand machines sounds dodgy, wait and buy the new Toro.

I have a '01 model z355, it is great, I bought it new.
    However these aren't like the side discharge machines like Toro 580's, Hustlers, Exmarks etc, the z355 is finishing mower only, they will do more but not built to. Unless you Need a bagger, go with a midmount, I'm most likely getting the new Toro 588E soon.

What are the Updates you refer to?

Good luck,

Tony.

3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Tonyr thanks for the reply, Im not really sure what the rep ment about updates but thats just what he told me. I guess Ill have to do a search and see what I come up with.

4. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

The updates he is referring to are the bulletins from Toro on recalls, repairs, upgrades and fixes on this troubled machine. I have been looking at purchasing this machine for many years and have demoed different year models. My Toro head mechanic says "STAY FAR AWAY" from this machine. All he ever talks about are the constant updates on keeping this machine running. Do a search on here and find many guys who purchased them trying to dump them. Not to say that Tony isn't right that his maybe is working well. I am a Toro man and we own 5 Toro mid mount 255 Z's. I don't want to purchase a Walker at the cost difference. Toro was offering a special on these 350 series starting at $7995 this season. VERY TEMPTING seeing it had their dense pak system which I did like. I will probably purchase one next year or after. We use trac vacs on some of our machines and they are just a pain in the arse to use. We only bag maybe 6-8 accounts so justification is questionable, but might bag more to speed productivity. Heard someone say that Exmark is updating it's Explorer Walker clone next season. Let's hope that Toro\Exmark shares this new design on their 350 series. $3000 without a warranty with that many hrs is not a great buy in my opinion. Offer him $2000 and see if he grabs.

Mike

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I know models prior to '01 needed upgrades, don't know what they were though, the 355 was supposed to be the first model that was right....so I was told...

I bought mine june this year new from a dealer, recently had a faulty drive shaft replaced, new deck gearbox, and new spindles, all under warrantee luckily as these were from a previous model and toro fixed everything no worries, now it cuts and runs fantastic, my walker of the same year make is no competition and costed a lot more!

If you do any rough mowing I'd say midmount though, more tougher and versatile in the commercial world, the z355 is unbreakable, just a different animal to say a 580 series with turbo force deck. I should be getting one soon, I'll keep you updated.

Tony.

6. Mako

Mako LawnSite Member

My Toro Z325 does a great job. Bags with no problems. Trims off both sides of the deck. Is faster than my lawn allows. With a little practice controls as good as anything I've driven. Picks up leaves and nothing is left behind. Lawn looks far better than my neighbors expensive lawn tractors do since it cuts the grass before mashing it down.
    My unit has the upgrades which were confirmed during a conversation with a Toro. The updates are; It has the latest improved deck gear box. It has an updated dampener kit on the control levers. It has the update kit on the heads on the Kolher 25Hp. You need to make sure the blower belt is not slipping. It has the improved seal in the chute where it goes into the box.
    The future problems I was told to watch for are; There have been failures in the bearing holder in the blower which is not a major problem. Also Toro has a thing called a Half Clutch kIT replaces the pulley side of the clutch to a single belt from the original double. They say they have trouble getting matched belts. This kit costs $250 so I don't plan to change mine until I see a problem.
    I see all these notes talking about all the problems with these machines but there is never any particulars. Except for the deck gear box and the blower, the rest of the components of the unit are the exact same as those on the heavest units. Same pumps, hoses, valves, wheel motors, engine, etc. The frame and deck are very heavy. The thing weighs 1300lbs.
    I wouldn't want to use it as a brushhog where I might hit a solid object and I hope the engine holds up but overall the thing is built to last a long time.
    What problems, give details, do these machines have that make them unacceptable over their good points? I would like to know what to expect. Mine has 250hrs.

7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Moe say buy.