Buy it or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, May 26, 2003.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some advice. I currently mow 8 properties on a part time basis. They average approximately 4 000 sq feet and the average mowing time, with a 21" Toro proline, is 25 minutes. I now have the chance to acquire a 2002 32" Toro Proline for approximately $2 500 Canadian (approximately $1 600 U.S.) I don't know whether to take it or not. Some things I am debating are:
    1. How much time will it actually save. Due to commitments at my f/t job, I can't really take on other accounts. Is a time savings of 1 hour attainable if the mower fits everywhere?
    2. I don't know if the mower can fit into half of the gates of my clients?
    3. I would need to acquire a trailer or truck ramp. That would add more to the price.
    4. Would customers mind putting a larger unit on the property.

from AL

A belt drive 32" will save no time on small tightly, landscaped props over your 21" Proline. It actually may cause more operator fatigue with all the tight maneuvering. Also will not mulch as well as the 21".

The unit may save some time if you have a few larger open areas.
  3. wobblez

wobblez LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

i would look at it this way if you plan to expand your business then get it but if as you say you can not handle more customer due to full time job then i do not think it is a good deal for you to get it.
    what you should do is think about the furture of your business and were you want to go with it and that will tell you if you need it or not.

just my 2 cents.
  4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

are you high UL. :confused:

Its definitely going to save you time for sure. The mower is 11" wider then the 21" and its not going to be any harder to maneuver on those yards. It should fit through all your gates I have not seen a gate smaller then 32". IMHO I would buy the 32" and not look back. Buy yourself a ramp kit at your local home center for your truck and your good to go. joed depending how old that mower is $1,600 mite be a bit much
  5. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Harry- He said it was a 2002. Also, UL is right, many tightly landscaped lawns are MUCH easier and quicker to mow with a 21 than a w/b. $1600 seems like a good price depending on how many HOURS it has... check the blades, thats the first thing people forget about when selling their mowers, the oil will be new, but the blades will have nice hits from rocks and all else. Also, check the underside of the deck for rust, if its coated with grass, scrape it and look. 25 Minutes is nothing to mow a lawn, the 32 might not cut down much, and you might still have to use the 21 to mow the edges, or use the trimmer MORE. I would say no if you plan on staying in that sized lawn segment.. don't get caught up in the "lawnsite groove" thinking bigger bigger bigger is always better better better, cause sometimes it isn't.
  6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm solo and have a 21" 36" 48" 52" one for every size lawn. I myself would much rather mow with the 36" then the 21". the 21" only gets used a couple times a week and about half my lawns are Joed size. The best thing to do is buy it and see just how much time it saves. if you feel its not worth it resell it. sorry I did not see it was a 2002
  7. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

How bad does the seller want to get rid of the machine? Maybe you can ask to demo it? If he's "motivated" to sell he'll let you take it. Maybe he's even got ramps you can borrow.
  8. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. All of your comments have made me do a lot of thinking. I can't take on anymore work, most of the properties have obstacles like ditches, narrow gates etc apart from 3 and one of my clients specifically wants her lawn bag. But, it might be nice to try. Now I'm more confused than ever.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

joed, get the 32 and buy a catcher for it. This way you can use whichever mower is better and quicker for the property. HarryD is right just resell it if it doesn't make you enough money.

from AL

I guarantee a belt drive 32" will kill you on small, tightly landscaped props.

Go hydro or use the 21".