Buy Lesco or wait for an Exmark/Scag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advantage landscaping, Nov 2, 2007.

1. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a mid-size walk behind. Have had experience with belt driven models and am looking for a hydro for a little easier control.

Right now I am looking at a Lesco 48" Hydro, 17hp, 2004, good condition, $2000.

Should I wait for a Scag or an Exmark hydro to come along? I need 2 things - a great cut and superior striping. Should I just grab the lesco and set it up with a striping kit? or is it wiser to go with an exmark which is supposed to be a better brand?

Or maybe you have better decision? Or advice? Staying with 54" or less walk behind please, no rider suggestions.

Also, has anybody ever used to buy equipment? They have a bunch of nice Vikings but am a little weary of buying something online. They have an ad on this site, which is how I found them.
  2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

For a few more dollars you could buy a new gear drive Lesco. This time of year I would think you could do even better.
  3. advantage landscaping

Yes, but I am interested in the hydro walkbehinds only... I already have a belt drive
  4. advantage landscaping

anybody else with advice/suggestions?

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait for the Scag or Toro oops I mean Exmark :)
  6. advantage landscaping

and why? don't disagree with you, just wondering why you feel that way.
  7. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

If u are going to wait for the lesco, u might as well look into cub cadet commercial walk behinds, since they are basicall lesco walk behinds but painted yellow and black with cub cadet stickers. Commercial turf products make both commercial lesco and cub cadet walk behinds and zero turns. Either way lesco/cub commercial/ exmark are good mowers and u wont be let down, especially if u take care of them
  8. advantage landscaping

Cub Cadet commercials are few and far between around here, I have been looking for machines for over a year and have never seen any model.

I am just concerned I am buying a sub-par machine with the lesco. I mean it looks well made, but they all do. Are they really sub-par to scags and exmarks?
  9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Josh, if the deck on the lesco mower is fixed - in other words the way you adjust the height is by taking spacers in or out of the front casters, then go for it. The Green colored Lesco Fixed Deck walkbehinds are just as good of a walkbehind as any other walkbehind on the market. It has the same quality engine, pumps, motors, spindles, belts and pulleys, and so on. I have used the Lesco 52 inch hydro walkbehind a few times and was impressed with the clean cut and how well the mower worked.

The Lesco walkbehinds were always good. John Deere bought out Lesco and will be discontinuing making lesco mowers.... with one exception, and that is the walkbehinds, mainly I think because they know the walkbehind is a first class mower and has a good reputation unlike the clumsy ZTR's lesco has tried to sell over the years.

Personally after using a 48 incher years ago, I would try to buy a 52 incher if you can find one and the size will work for you.

Lastly, in the last year or so I noticed Lesco selling some kind of walkbehind with a floating type deck. I have not used one and can not say it is or isn't in the same league as their traditional walkbehinds.
  10. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i use all scag mowers and love then. I have how ever used some old bunton mowers, which are somewhat similar to lescos and they mowed pretty good. Lescos are built pretty good, but i dont really care for some of their controls.
    If your in the $2000 price range, check around with some trade in equipment at dealers. Here i can gt a 2 year old scag walkbehind for $1,500 for a fixed deck.
    both are great machinces either way though.