Buy Local for Support or Out of State for Price?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Ursushorribilus, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

Well, here's the deal: I've got the local dealers in my area all quoting about the same price for an L48, just under $39,000 But a few days ago, thanks to one of our fellow members, I was directed to a dealer located several states away from me who will sell me the L48 and $10,000 worth of attachments (that's right ten-thousand dollars worth of attachments) for the same price these local dealers want for the L48 alone. Now, I understand that if I buy from the out of state dealer that the local dealers may try to make any warranty and/or servicing for my machine a miserable experience, but $10,000 is alot of money. What would you do? :dizzy:
  2. That is one heck of a difference, then again I do not have a clue what a L48 is.
  3. Ursushorribilus

JBLAWN, it's a Kubota 48 hp TLB (tractor/loader/backhoe), a heavily built model that is the cat's meow for landscaping, trenching, general digging, and moving all manner of loads - yet small enough (some argue against that) to operate on lawns. I saw one a few days ago dig out a stump about two feet in diameter, with a root ball the size of a pickup truck! It took awhile (I had the pleasure of running the machine for a short time, the owner was trying to teach me the ropes), but after digging a ripping away at roots she finally tore it loose, then pulled the stump and rootball out of the hole.
  4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I would buy it from out of state, your also going to save a bunch on taxes too. I'm sure you will find a dealer to service it. Maybe contact Kubota and asked them if they can contact a dealer without telling them your name at first and get warrenty work set up for you. Are the dealers in your area backed up all the time working on this type of equipment? Were not talking a $1,000 dollars here, if the dealer can't understand you position, then he doesn't care about you. Offer him to come within reason of the offer and if he says no, then go out of state.

My Hustler mower came from a local dealer that sold out and the new dealer dropped Hustler because they allready had an equipment line up. None of the other Hustler dealers gave me any headaches when it was time for warranty work. They offered Hustler at the time of sale.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

For 10,000 dollars I would go out of state and get the L 48. If you need to have warranty work done you should have no problem getting a local dealer to fix it.
  6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

10k???? that's a lot of clams.

If you can't get a local dealer to match that within at least a couple g's, go out of state.

Dealers have to service your machine under warranty whether they want to or not. How quickly they get to it, well, that's where you may have the problem. You are talking about a Kubota though. I would think your warranty issues would be few and far between.
  7. Ursushorribilus

I talked to my local dealer today, and he said he can't touch the out of state dealer's prices. He was pretty understanding about it, and agreed that a $10,000 difference is too much to walk away from. I asked him directly about service and warranty work and he said I'd be taken care of. I think he's thinking of me as more of a neighbor than a customer at this point, because we both live in the same area and know some of the same people. I was impressed that he didn't fly off the handle, I guess his conservative New England "Yankee" philosophy and farming background won the day over his salesman mentality when he realized how big the price difference was. Like I said, he was very understanding and decent about it...not the money-hungry wolf I have come to think many dealers are - which is a departure from the automobile industry. Must be because many of these New England tractor dealers grew up on farms.

Anyways, I'm calling the out of state dealer tomorrow and putting in my order. I'll let you all know the total of the tractor and the many implements I plan to order...
  8. bigsky39

bigsky39 LawnSite Member

Tell me the dealer you bought at ....I want the same deal.
  9. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Prolly Messicks in PA. I get all my orange stuff there, Tell em I sent ya, ask for Tony. (gotta go with the 10k savings URS)
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

For 10,000 that would be hard to pass up. And it was good your dealer acted decent about it. I bought a Z-trac last year from a non local dealer and when I took it in for service actually was told by dealership to take it where I got it from. A quick call to JD solved the problem but I have never been back to the local dealer again. Our car dealers are even worse, if you dont buy from them you get treated horrible when you go in. Once again was actually cussed out at a Nissan dealer back in the 90,s when I took my truck in for warr. work by the gen. manager. Must be a south thing, all this hospitality:D