Buy lunch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tamadrummer, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone buy some kind of gift certificates for their dealers mechanics to get lunch on your company? I have been thinking that since we are just about a month away from the season starting and I am sure I will be in there more than once for something dumb, that a seasoned vet could figure out but since I am rather green I would not have figured out.

It might be a nice idea to buy a $50 gift certificate to Beef O' Brady's for the guys to have lunch on B-N-B Lawn Service and Maintenance or something cheesy like that.

Is this something that anyone does to start the season out for what they have already done for you and also for what they will do in the future for you?

Just a thought but I would like to hear what others have done?
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Order some pizzas and had them delivered to the dealer. Gotta make sure they know who its from though.
  3. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. My father does somthing for the guys at our Landscape supplier every year. This past year he got $50 gift certificates to give to the guys for the Outback Steakhouse. They really appreciate it and go the extra mile to help us out. My dad calls it "buttering your bread on both sides".
  4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

With the prices my dealer charges, he has to butter their bread.
  5. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever floats your boat. Doing things like I mentioned gets you bumped to the front of the line at a dealership when something goes down. We also get to do things at the Landscape supplier like return extra mulch we didn't use and get a store credit for it. The guys will also let us dump yardwaste for free from time to time. Just little things like that. It all adds up and more than outweighs the money spent on the gift certificates.
  6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

At this point I am not bringing in enough to go and buy a $50 gift card for each of the guys so I think I will just buy one gift card for the service dept and one for the parts counter guys and call it a day.

I cannot justify spending a few hundred bucks at this point. Someday maybe but not yet.

Thanks for the input fellas, it would be nice to hear from some others to see if anyone else does this or thinks it is crazy?
  7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I vote for crazy. Im a solo and in a cut throat location. I have always figured the dealer needs to buy my business if he wants to but I pay plenty for my stuff and shouldnt have to beg or pay for good service.
  8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

A cup of coffee goes a long way toward building those relationships. It is cheap, and you can score points any time of day.
  9. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

how about a $5 to Dunkin Donuts....thats always good no matter if its winter or summer, when you're up at the crack of dawn.
  10. kcurrin

kcurrin LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good idea.