1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

buy new or used enclosed trlr

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnVet, Nov 4, 2006.

1. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

Been looking at buying an enclosed trailer for a few weeks. At first I was thinking 12' would be okay but after reading A LOT of posts on this topic I determined 16' would be the minimum I should get and I'm sure to fill it up here soon. My question though is what are the benefits of buying new vs. used? I can get a pretty sweet setup from a local dealer (Continental Cargo) for $5k w/ a 3yr warranty - I've seen shady trailers, this doesn't look shady in the least.
    -7'x16' (not including the v-nose space)
    -tandum w/brakes
    -powder coat/painted I-beam frame
    -ramp w/assist
    -heavy duty hinges on ramp and side
    -1 piece alum roof w/vent and lighting
    -luan inter walls, thick outer alum
    -v-hull w/stainless steel rock guard

Looking at used I can cut the price down to probably $2500-3500 but am not guaranteed to get quality. I'm thinking new I could at least finance and not shell out of pocket. I've never really been good at the write off philosophy (would new be better for that or is it going to look the same come tax time?) I have a month or two before I absolutely need to make a decision. Money is tight at the moment, but I have a long-term mindset. I just want to do this one right. Any comments would be appreciated. Also, anyone pull one of these Continental Cargos (comments please)? Things to look out for w/ enclosed?

:usflag: LawnVet :usflag:
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i got the same specs + treated floors + undercoating (no rust) for just under $4500

American Hauler
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago. I decided on a new trailer. Im glad i did. Always go with the one with the warranty
  4. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

Thanks guys, I think I'm getting good feedback, things that will help me pursuade my stockholder (the one that has this magic ring wrapped around my finger) into giving the thumbs up. I'm sure when it comes up in conversation it will have been all her decision in the first place...but hey, I'm the one who gets to add the toys to my list right?

tthomass - never heard of American Hauler but I just hit their website and their stuff looks pretty much identical. Did the specs include the I-beam frame or one made of tubing? $500 doesn't seem too far off at our distance - I'd be happy w/ either I think. The advertised spec sheets often differ from the models they show (and sell) you. The one I looked at today didn't match any of the brochure spec sheets they had in the place.

Kajun - I think you're right. I see you have all new equip - well, the big stuff at least. How much benefit do you see being an LLC as opposed to sole prop? How big is your business?
  5. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Trailers hold their value pretty good compared to other equipment. With that in mind, I would buy a new trailer, unless you come across a great deal.

I have a continental Cargo I use for work. It is enclosed. It's built pretty well.

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i have an LLC..... i feel it makes people think a bit better about your business. makes you look important and a big company who knows what they are doing... but it can always have an adverse affect, someone can say oh they are an LLC they must be expensive. im not to sure of the legal aspects of it... i was convinced by a close friend whos a electrician and owns a Development company... and my lawyer told me it was a good idea.:dizzy: so now theres and LLC at the end of my name and i write out a $250 check to the state every year.
  7. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

Thanks RM -exactly what I was hoping to hear

Raven - $250/yr aint bad, my worry is the double taxation. The gov'll take and take some more. I'm not knocking LLC's at all, just have little knowledge of the inner workings. If you're like me though, people not calling if they think you are too expensive can be a big plus. Those folks tend to expect you to use scissors on your hands and knees and accept $20/hr or you're ripping them off. Hmm, maybee I'll look into adding an LLC at the end of mine.
  8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

what i bought wasn't even on their site.............its best just to call and get a human
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Its good to shop used for the first one that will give you an idea of how they hold up. They all look so good in the beginning and they can even match steel sizes etc. when you are comparing one brand to another.

The quality comes in the form of jacks, door latches and ramp cables/mechanism. I shopped used and ended up buying a new brand (Interstate) that I did not see used. It was close to the cost of a used Haul mark or Wells Cargo. In one year I have replaced all the items listed above and have had to endure the months of inconvenience until I broke down and replaced the faulty parts.

I still have one problem I have not been able to solve. I cant get the thing clean, its like it does not have a clear coat or something. It feels smooth but the dirt just sticks to it. I can get the chunks off but it just has a dingy dull look to it.

Next time I will pony up the bucks for a brand name. New or used is a time issue in my opinion. How well you plan, what other demands there are on you time etc. All that shopping used takes time, no big deal if its winter in the mid west and all you are doing is watching Little House On The Prairie reruns. Different issue if you are in the sun-belt working all 12 months
  10. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

An LLC can be taxed just the same as a sole prop. In that case as far as filing your taxes is concerned, nothing changes.

In regards to the trailer, I would definitely buy new unless you find a great deal on a quality (careful because there are quite a few junk trailers out there) used trailer.