Buy New Or Used

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hardcore5657, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Hardcore5657

Hardcore5657 LawnSite Member

I Am Just Getting Started And I Was Wondering If I Should Buy A New W/b Mower, Trimmer, And Blower Or Used? Thanks For Any Help You Can Offer!

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I would buy everything new if you can afford it. If not buy a used mower and everything else new. All handhelds should be bought new.

3. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Buy what your budget will allow and when you start to make a profit, buy new stuff. Gotta start somewhere and if its with used, so be it............

4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Baught used mowers the 1st year. Handheld stuff was baught new.Buy what you can afford. If your just starting out used is better ,that way you don't take a big hit when you sell your new stuff if you dont like mowing anymore. aAlso you may need to get a trailer.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Only you know your financial suituation, I too believe new for sure on the handheld stuff. You can get good deals on mowers but do the homework. You can pick up junk too.
    As a true business decision-- finance, time, maintenance, ROI, and to be able to get exactly the tool you need for your business, I believe new is the way to go. but most getting into this are not going into business, just making money. They do not think of it as investing and also most do not have the capital to invest. so many will answer used to start.
    Only you know your needs and plans

6. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

i'd say it depends if you are mechanically inclined.i can fix anything so i buy used.my partner can't fix toast so he buys used and expects me to fix his stuff as well.
    i buy a lot of stuff on ebay and i have a general rule that has served me well.if it looks like hell on the outside,it most likely looks the same on the inside.be careful.