Buy or Lease an EXMARK LAZER HP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ETturfman, Mar 23, 2001.

1. ETturfman

ETturfman LawnSite Member

I've been talking to my local Exmark dealer about a Lazer HP and I can't figure out which is the best way to go. Buy it or lease it? The dealer told me that a lot of LCO's lease for tax purposes. Any suggestions?

2. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

What are the tax purposes? You can depriciate the mower anyway and claim any interest you pay on a loan. The lease I saw on a walkbehind had an interest rate that was around 18%. I would like to know the advantage of leasing also.

Thanks

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Lease payment is 100% right off the top of income,since it is an expense.The mower depreciation amount isnt equal to the amount you can deduct as a lease,for me,it was better to lease it-for you it may be different.I have a $1 dollar buyout at the end of the lease-that way you get to totally deduct all of the payment-and get the machine-the higher interest rate is the downside.

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

buy it, personly i would never lease something. just doesn't sit in my stomach as well. just to many things that could happen.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My accountant told me that if the equipment purchases are less than $20K per year, the full purchase price is deductable in the year of purchase. No depreciation schedule is used. I didn't discuss the case of purchases greater than $20K because I know I would not spend that much in a given year.

Vehicles are done differently. Different rules apply for those having a GVW less than 6K pounds, than those over 6K.