Buy Outs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnMowerMan3875, Aug 14, 2007.

1. LawnMowerMan3875

LawnMowerMan3875 LawnSite Member

I've been in business for 3 years now and I keep climbing every year. My clientel is mainly retired/elderly people. I do have a few comm. accounts, but I rely on my residential more. I recently had an offer from a competetor that has been in business for many years in my area to buy my clientel out and come to work for him. I'm just curious to what you guys and gals think of this. Your opinions and comments are welcomed.

Thanks

2. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

It depends on what YOU want, not the folks on this forum. If you are thinking about selling out then you are getting tired of this biz, right? Well, why are you ready to get out? If it is because self employment is not for you then sell out now and go find a GOOD job. If it is because you don't like the work then hire an employee or two and focus on the business end and not the labor. Good luck either way.

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

I sold my business four years ago, and took a general manager position for a large design/ build/ maint. business. This was the best choice for me. This may not work for everyone. I had a great smaller solo operation that was operating on a high revenue low cost structure. The stability was not there however, meaning in my area it is highly competitve and I did not want to increase the size of my company. Good luck and make the choice that is best for you.

4. LawnMowerMan3875

LawnMowerMan3875 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. No, its not because I'm tire of the biz or even the labor, I love doing what I do and of course. Love being my own boss. My curiousity is why? Am I being too competitive with his business? Maybe his customers are going to change companies to find better deals or what? Like I said, my biz is growing every year. Even with the dry season, my clients tell me its up to me if I mow it or not. Of course you don't want to burn it out. So the choice is ovious. I guess the question I should of asked is, If you are going to buy someone out, what are your reasons to do so? Any advice is appreciated...Thanks everyone...

Lawnmowerman3875

5. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

To get rid of all competition. I would buy out every company in the area if I could, just not for top dollar. If he is going to give you top dollar then maybe you are scaring him. What area of Missouri are you in? PM if you don't want to say on the forum.