1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

buy used backpack blower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by blueturtle241, Jan 4, 2007.

1. blueturtle241

blueturtle241 LawnSite Member

im looking to get a backpack blower, the redmax. is this something i should purchase new or can i pick one up used without worrying too much...the used one im looking at was bought in 03' for home use only....if you have one of these, are they pretty reliable? basically trying to get a business started as cheaply as possible....thanks
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Home use only? Do you know them?
  3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

My RedMax blowers have been reliable but if you havn't noticed everyone has their oppinions. If its in good shape at a cheep price then go for it. What Model is it? New Redmax backpack blower cost from around 400 to 600. It can be hard to find decent used handheld equipment unless its only been used a couple times. Smart thinking, you don't have to buy the biggest and newest of every tool when starting out. Both of my mowers were not brand new when i got them but still work perfectly however i bought all my trimmers, blowers and other handheld equipment new.
  4. blueturtle241

blueturtle241 LawnSite Member

i dont know the guy selling, so yea he's probably lying about using it soley at his home. he is not really moving much on the price, so i'll probably go new...at least i'll have the peace of mind that if something goes wrong the shop should help me out...thanks
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

For what they cost I would buy new. You could get a new one from just about any maker Echo, Redmax, Stihl or many others for around $400.00 depending on the size you need but for that price you would get a blower that should handle everything you need to do. Buying used might be ok but why take the chance. What if the owner used the wrong mix for the last 3yrs you would have clogged exhaust or carb rebuild or worse complete rebuild in a season or two. Another point to make is that under somewhat heavy use because you really dont know how he used it those little engines dont last forever.