1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buy ztr local or from internet and save $$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brodo374, Apr 23, 2010.

1. brodo374

brodo374 LawnSite Member

I would like to buy a new ztr locally so that when problems arise I can get the problem corrected immediately, however can save exactly $1100 if i buy over the internet from a different dealer, add in the sales tax difference versus delivery, the savings total about $1500. I do have a backup for this mower so am leaning toward the internet purchase. I hate that my dealer will take his time with any repairs to my mower if I do not buy from him, but he will not negotiate his price any lower. Any advise on this matter. Is good dealer support worth $1500? Thanks for help
  2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on how busy you are and how often you are in need of dealer support....it can be priceless.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

If your dealer is anything like mine (Toro) he will NOT work on it if it does not come from him. Yes, dealer support is priceless!!
  4. brodo374

brodo374 LawnSite Member

I can understatnd putting someone towards the end of the line if the mower is not bought from them but if they are a dealer of the same brand (i.e. snapper pro) then don't they have an obligation to endorse the company's warranty and product?
  5. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I saved about 2k ordering over the internet. I did not have a problem taking it to my dealer for service work. As long as it is the same brand they sell I don't think it would be a problem.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I took an internet price to my Toro dealer last year and he flat out told me "if you bring that mower to me it will sit around back for a couple of months before I even think about working on it" and the Toro rep was there at this time. Yes, they are suppose to honor the warranty but they can not be made to do so. Exmark dealer here is also the same way, don't buy from them, forget the warranty! I do understand them putting their buying clients first but dang being flat out rude if you don't buy from them.
  7. KarlP

KarlP LawnSite Member
    from MA

Do you think (through prior experience or local reputation) that the dealer will drop everything to support you if you do buy from them and do have a problem? If so buy from them. Its worth supporting a GOOD local shop that will support their customers in return.

If not, $1500 buys a lot of parts and independent mechanic time. You can even ship it back and forth to the selling dealer once for any serious warranty service and still come out ahead at that price difference.
  8. icobob

icobob LawnSite Member
    from indiana

what are the online dealerships websites that all of you use.
  9. brodo374

brodo374 LawnSite Member

Did your dealer service your mower right away or put you at the end of the line. I think that will be my only problem
  10. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Local good dealer for me. Been the internet route not again.