buying 2 new mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn jockey, Aug 11, 2001.

1. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

Im buying two new mowers and was just wondering about some opinions! I know everybody has their own preferences, but I would like to hear them all the same! I have looked at the grasshopper and the ferris 60 inch mid mounts at 2 local dealers they are both about the same price. (I would have looked at the ex mark but the local dealer is a !@$$#@!) It seemed to me that the grasshoppers controls were much smoother but the ferris has the nice suspension!?!? Any opinions would greatly be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thankyou all who answered my previous?

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

did you search this on the search feature?

3. The Grasshopper mid mount is relativly new I would wait till they get the bugs worked out a bit

As for the Farris the ZTR is the only thing I like that they make but the steering leavers will wear you out

And please tell us what is wrong with your Exmark dealer?

LGF:blob1:

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, the steering levers on the ferris are way to stiff!! The suspension dosnt seem to make the machine run that much smoother than my z master and the cut on the ferris is just so so...... any other commercial mower options in your area?

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the Hustler stuff. Either the walk behind or Z. Very well built equipment and the owner is a wonderful guy. Great to work with this company.

6. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

if you are looking at grasshoppers check out the 700 series and see how much more it would be.with that machine you can add implements like airifier,aerator,dozer blade,snow blade,leaf collection,etc this will add to your service list and make more money.i wish i could do this but oh well.good luck have fun:alien:

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

check out the Walkers!!!

Like the Grasshopper they are front mount. But, with a GHS (grass handling system) unit you can swap decks for side discharge or discharge out the rear of the hopper.

Also you can add several attachments.

I've been using them for years and have had no major problems.

My preference is the 26hp EFI.

They are great on hills and very comfortable to operate.

If you're looking for a large deck, they have 52" and 62" and are coming out with a 56" and 74"

Check them out http://www.walkermowers.com

8. Tony

Tony LawnSite Member

Grasshopper Mid-Mount , Don't let anybody that hasn't even drove one help you make up your mind. It has some of the largest pumps you'll find on a Z mower making it extra smooth. I love this machine for the smooth ride, a Ferris will never ride as good even with shocks, I've rode both. Grasshopper mowers are powered coated for long lasting paint while some of the mowers (I will not say which ones) look like they were painted with spray bombs. On welding, Grasshopper uses roboctic welding compared to shade tree welding I've seen on some mowers. All I'm saying is give Grasshopper a Break, they make very good quality mowers. Only my opinion, its free.
    Tony

9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

ARE YOU GUYS FORGETTING ONE THING WHY NOT CK OUT THE SCAG TURF TIGER SCAG MAKES ONE OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY MOWERS ON THE MARKET AND I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE AS I HAVE 2 SCAGS NOW

10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

please do not post with all caps. Thanks!