1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying 2 new W\B want opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Adironscapes, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Adironscapes

Adironscapes LawnSite Member

I am buying 2 new Ferris or Hustler 48" w\b With 17 hp. The price for the Ferris is $4,500 and the Hustler is $5,800. My question is, can they both handle a sulky on hills, and will they have enough over all power. At this point in time I really cant afford much more. Not much snow not much $$$$$$.
    Thanks for any input
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

The Hustlers have a thicker gauge deck and a superior H-bar steering system.

I do not have anything in particular against Ferris, but from what I've read and seen over the years, your best bet is the Hustler. My 02.

Forgot to mention, if you indeed will be using a Velky, you will not have to move your hips out of the way of the handles when turning with a Hustler.
  3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Also, Hustlers have a wider stance, which is indespensible on hills.
  4. Is a Hustler walk behind really $5800.00 ?
  5. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Buy a Exmark walk-behind you wont regret it
  6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I can't throw stones at Ex-mark,cause I got one...great machine,however if I were looking to buy a new one I would certainly look at the Hustler,like their steering :waving:
  7. Adironscapes

Yes a 48 w\b from Warner Sale out of Rome NY is $5,800
  8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

The Hustler is great on hills; the price looks a little high for it though.
    For the same price you have listed for the Hustler 17/48, I got a 25/54 Super walk-behind with a BullRider and a set of Gator magnums.
    In the heavy spring growth, I can work my 25 hp Kawasaki pretty hard. I would get the 23/48 Super walk-behind, it's well worth the money for thick grass and mulching the leaves.
    Nothing compares to Hustlers H-bar for comfort and ease, once you try one you wont want any other walk-behind.
  9. Adironscapes

I have a couple 36 Ex mark W\B and I can not complain. However the dealer has sub standard service people working for him and it is not worth ever dealing with him again. I know the other dealers and they have exceptional service departments.
  10. treemeat

treemeat LawnSite Member

today I priced the Hustler 23/48 at $5240. Much better than the exmark 19/48 at $5600. There are advantages to each machine;

Exmark: faster tip-speed(18,500 compared to 16,250), larger spindles(1.2" c/to 1"), shorter overall length(70" c/to 78"), higher cut(4.5" c/to 4"

Hustler: better controls(h-bar), faster ground-speed(8mph to 6 ), more brute power(23 to 19), larger tires(20" c/t 16)

I also like that the hustler comes with an hour-meter, though I worry about the smaller spindles. As far as the slower tip-speed, if a guy were to run meg-mos on it the cut would maybe be superior to the X with singles?

One thing I haven't compared is the deck design and scalp rollers . . . .

I'm starting to like the color yellow . . .