buying 200 gallon Lesco spray rig

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by germann, Mar 14, 2003.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

We have 70 mowing customers and 30 chemical customers at between 4-7 apps per year. This year we were thinking about buying a spray rig and trying to double or triple our chemical customers for next year. I have a few questions.
    Right now we use granular for the pre-em, and all fert. only weed control is liquid.
    1. How low do the tanks empty before the spray is too eratic to use.
    2. Is it feasable to mix trimec etc for 10,000-15,000 sq ft in a 200 gal tank if you get a special request such as a new customer w/ bad weeds. Assuming the request comes after you have serviced all regular customers.
    3. Any other advice is appreciated.

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

a regulator will allow tank to become completely empty, no eratic spraying.

mixing trimec for 10,000-15,000 sq ft. Not sure what you mean. If you want to just go out and treat a 10000sf lawn, no problem. Typical fill will be 2 gals of mixed product to 1000sf. so fo the 10,000sf lawn you'd go out with 20-25 gals. Now if your fillin that 200gal tank all the way up, at 2 gals per 1000sf your gonna treat 100,000sf.
    (does that make sence to you?)

3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

we have never noticed any eratic spray pattern until the thing is dry. Check out the 300 gal tank instead of 200. You can get more sq. footage for the buck. Right now until the end of march the 300 gal lesco is only 100 bucks more. You will make more than that in the 100 extra gallons.

4. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

So what is the price of a 200 and 300 from Lesco, or is there a better vendor for the price that somebody has experience with?

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't even bother with anyone else. The Lesco is proven in it's field as an excellent unit, and you always have the parts and support readily available. As far as the advice on the 2 to 300 gal. tank, that is good advice. That extra 100 gallons takes you to the threshold of alot less refilling. However, depending on the configuration you have, and the truck you are using, sometimes it's more practicle to go with the 200 gal. sprayer, especially the newer spacesaver type. Also, make sure you have a truck that is going to HAUL it. If you have a pickup, it's nice to have room for dry granular or any needed pesticides as well.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My dealer also said it's only a $100 difference going from the 200 gallon to the 300 gallon. The problem I have is that I will be using a 3/4 ton truck. Most people that I have spoke with says they don't think it would support 300 gallon of liquid. I would still have to pay the difference and get the larger tank, considering the possibility of getting a heavier truck in the future. The new 200 gallon space saver units do look sweet!

MATT

7. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

If you are not going to buy the 300 because you cant haul the weight all you have to do is not fill it now just fill to 200 until you get another truck. Think about the future if you might want a 300 later when you get a bigger truck.

8. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Dosen't water weigh 8lbs. per gallon? That is only 2400-2800 pounds. The guy that sprays my lawns uses a 300 or 400(?) gallon Lesco unit and carries it on a 3/4 ton flat bed. If I was that worried about I would just buy a little trailer.

9. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

i have the 200 gal spacesaver and love it. I can still haul granular if I need it or anyhting else for that matter with the extra space. I have an 03 Silverado 2500HD and it hardly sags when its full but it is a bigger truck. I will send you pics of it in my truck if you want to see one mounted. My email is jrpxxii@aol.com if you want pics. I paid $3100 for mine.

10. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

How imporant is mechanical agitation? When I worked for Chemlawn years ago, I remember they had mechanical agitation. It would seem to me that if your pouring in granular urea, you'd almost have to have mechanical agitation.

I'm probably going to buy the Lesco 300 gal unit with mechanical agitation with the electric hose reel. Can't find any used ones on E-Bay at all. Kind of surprised by that.

Any thoughts on mechanical agitation? How important is it?

Thanks,
    DFW, TX