1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying 36" used, tips.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Got Grass?, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

What are the things to look for when buying a used mower? Lets get specific here. How about this mower /engine?

Reason I'm asking is I realized I seem to be picking up more & more gated accounts on these 2 blocks & I'm really sick of using a 21 pusher.

Stoped by Lesco the other day to pick up some blades, filters etc... Their 36" 14hp gear w/ free sulky is going for arround $2400.

I also found one used. 4yrs old, needs new blade belt & pully. Guy said he will fix that & make sure everything else is allright. Uses it as a backup & 1 day a week. Reason for selling is he is getting larger accounts & needs to sell equip. to afford a Viper.
    No sulky or catcher, but has brackets.
    Havent actually seen this one yet. If it's not a deal then I still want to know what to look for.
    BTW: How much would you pay for one used?

I like the idea of getting another Lesco & having to stock less spare parts, blades etc... being able to swap bags, sulky, casters etc...

Thanks a lot in advance... Money is extremely tight.
  2. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Your best bet would be to save your money and buy a new one!
    But, if you can't i would try to find a newer one say 01' model or 00', just make sure the engine is sound and everything on the mower is working properly!

Good Luck, Jim
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Got Grass - Get a 36" eXmark, and put a flex-deck on it - would let you thru gates, but have 54" cut that contour mows and trims in places you have never had a mower.

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Now there is an old Exmark. What year is that?
  5. Flex-Deck

I don't remember how old he said it was. Could it be 14 yrs old? I do know the main deck has been welded on a few times, but it still runs like a charm - guy is a commercial mower too. [​IMG]

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Flex-Deck, could you in theory have TWO flex decks for a total of 72"'s of cutting based off a 36"? one fold up per side?
  7. Flex-Deck

If you put a flex-deck on the discharge side, you would be messing up more grass flow than it would be worth. I would think it would work if the main deck was a rear discharge, but you definitly would be under powered with two, unless it was designed from the factory with the necessary power.
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i was thinking in terms of running an exmark mulch kit. mine has a 15 kohler on it, but they do offer that V twin.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

try to shake each spindle.
    put it against a tree or something solid
    or better yet thick grass watch for white or black smoke. white oil, black carb.
    look at it early before hes had a chance to crank it,an dont call ahead. nothin more frustrating than a mower ,works u to death ,before u can start wk. good look
  10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a used 36" years ago and it's still running with only one minor repair over the years. I paid $1000. That said, I wouldn't trust anyone out there today not to sell me a messed up mower. I'd buy a new one for $2200 or so instead. It'll be worth more down the line and over time the cost will be about the same. Dont' let cash flow dictate your strategy if you can help it.

New pulley? I've never replaced one myself in 10 years of mowing. Might be a clue it's worn out, might not be. I've had mowers that started having one breakdown after another, so I sold them. This one might be one of those mowers. You never know.