Buying a 3 year old "new" Turf Tracer HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JeffK, Dec 3, 2003.

1. JeffK

JeffK LawnSite Member

I don't post alot of questions on the forum but have found the site to be very helpfull with my questions in the past.

I have an aerating business and will be looking at doing a few commercial mowing accounts this next spring. After reading so many posts, I have decided on my first mower to be an Exmark Turf Tracer HP, 17 HP (52" with ECS and electric start).

My question is that the dealer in my area has the unit still in the crate and the price seems fair. In talking with the dealer I have found out that the unit is actually a 2001 unit with no hours and hasn't even been set-up yet.

Have any of you had this occur to you in the past? They are offering the same warranty as a new model year unit.

Should I be concerned with the age?

Secondly, the price they quoted is $6900, which includes the mower, Trac-vac unit (with Kohler engine/not Briggs) and a JRCO rake on the front, both installed (also includes tax).

Please give me your thoughts/concerns.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Age wouldn't be a concern. Sounds like a decent (not great) price with those accessories. Only thing is, with a 52" deck, I feel strongly that a 17hp will be vastly under powered. Talk him down in price, or into a new engine. Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for anything with a 17hp.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The warrenty is from date of purchase. It will carry the full warrenty.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Walk in with $6,000 in your hand and he might take it, that would be a good deal for ya. 17hp is fine for 52" thats what I have, I can run double blades with it fine. The rake and trac vac will be awesome for cleanups.
    I say get it but don't pay over $6500. If you go in there with $6k in hand I bet he'll take it or will make a deal close to that number. That is a long time for a new machine to sit and he'll want to move it. Again 17hp will do you fine even with a sulky. I can not see why some guys say thats not enough apparently they have never used one before :rolleyes: The 17hp V twin Kaw is a great engine and a lot of torque.
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I say that because I've used a 48" with a 17hp and it was underpowered. Thick, wet, etc., it was bogging with sharp blades.
  6. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

ElephantNest, Something was wrong with that motor. 17 horsepower should rip through the grass on a 48" Exmark. Heck, I run kawi 14s; they rarely bog down--belt drive helps--- in tall grass.
  7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

This is not any suggestion or opinion but simply a food for thought.

Brand new TT5223KAC ECS can be had for $ 6299.
    23 hp Twin Kawi (dream motor for any 52" deck)
    Ultracut deck, the best of eXmark
    200 Electromagnatic clutch, same stuff in midmount rider.
    hour meter standard
    rear drive tires :18 by 8.50-8 on TT vs 16 by 7.50-8 on TTHP

Needlesss to say...
    Again, 52/23, 52/23...52/23
    Best regards,
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

EN, no offense sir but I am sure something was wrong with that motor. My 17/52 goes through tall and wet stuff easily- no bogging. It runs gators over standard blades but not enough power for double lifts (too much airflow).

Yes the 23hp full size TT is a beast to be desired but if your budget and needs only allow you to get the TTHP don't hesitate if the price is right. I'm sure it will meet and exceed your expectations. The 23hp one with rake and Trac vac will run at least $8k if you find some good deals even. Also the electric PTO clutch is no big deal. I would not buy a mower using the electric clutch as a reason to buy it. In the long run a manual clutch such as is on a TTHP is cheaper. Nothing wrong with electric ones, but they are not an advantage IMO. Either machine will exceed your expectations and be awesome for you though!