Buying a BlueBird slit seeder but have a question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Oct 23, 2004.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer has made me a really good deal on a new BlueBird slit seeder. It is the old style machine with the seed box on the front and a Honda. This is the kind of machine I have used in the past with great results. My question is does the new style machine with the seed box on the rear work better? I have a feeling the box on the front gets more seed sliced in? Anyways let me know what you think because my dealer has made me an awesome year end deal on a slit seeder and aerator.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use the old style with great results. The "issue" with the old style was that seed could get damaged when the slicing tines ran over the seed. I see no evidence of this and my customers are very happy with the results from the old style machine. The germination rate is considerably higher than with the aerate and seed method.

3. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've had nothing but good results with the seeder in the front. I will probably buy this machine this week. I'm surprised no one else has any comments.

4. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Price is a big issue, especially in business, but I'm more inclined to lean to wards a Ryan or Lesco Lawn Renovator. More expensive than the Bluebird, but I feel a better machine.

More important is your experience with the machine. You know what to expect, and how to get good results. If you don't feel you could get any better results from any other machine, then stay with the Bluebird.

Best Regards

Bryn

5. CathyLynn

CathyLynn LawnSite Member

Yes the Lesco !!It's Hydro dr is very smooth and it's about th eonly good thing Lesco ever did. Ours is 5 yrs old and we use it quite a bit and also rent it to other contractors 2 125.00 a day--no damage yet!