Buying a BR600

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Icepuck72, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

So I'm going to my dealer on Thursday to check these out. Am I understanding that we should be using the synthetic mix for these, right?

2. Arkansaslawn

Arkansaslawn LawnSite Member

imo dont waste your time..i dont want to get flamed on this but i have 2 of them and we finally got a redmax dealer so i bought the 8001 series and they are hands above the stihls..the weigh less and blow harder..

my guys fight over the new redmax stuff i bought ill never own another stihl product....

3. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

Frankly I am tired of seeing this debated. But who am I?

Stihl makes GREAT products. I own all Stihl. They are not as large as they are, because "REDMAX" is better. They offer great products at a decent price.

I own the BR550 Blower. I use 93 octane with the Stihl Mix in the Orange Bottle. I have no problems what so ever. Cranks up perfectly, does not smoke, etc. Works like a champ.

Good luck on your purchase.

4. Arkansaslawn

Arkansaslawn LawnSite Member

like i said i didnt want to get flamed but i have alot of equipment and lot of grounds to take care off and i dont have time for stuff that will not run correctly. we mow a average of 4500 acres a year(all properties added together on all cuts added) very large parking lots and roads to blow off...

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Are you kidding me? weigh less? you call 23.4lbs of 8001 weighing less than a 20.9lb BR600?

To the original poster, buy the BR600 and you won't regret it.

6. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

The BR600 I have is the first one on my dealer sold.
    It still starts on the second pull EVERY time.

My friend in the business uses Redmax and only Redmax. They all run GREAT.

Both quality products, reasonably priced. Buy the one that makes you happy.

If you want to relive tthe Sthil / Redmax debate, please learn to use the search engine. Thousands of hours of usless reading are waiting for you. We've already been over that.

7. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the two S.S. brands Stih, Shindaiwa.....
    Personally, I demoed all Stihl blowers and ended up selecting the BR 550 PAID $400.

8. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

We have 3 BR600's and love them. They are very light weight and powerful. Never a single problem and they are used every day. As for the Redmax being lighter just watch the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEePijBdgJw

9. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Stihl published some pictures of the guts of units run for X number of hours. Those using the synthetic oil were cleaner.

10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I saw pictures like that at my dealer, I use the HP oil and I asked about switching to the synthetic and was told that it's basically not that big of a deal for me. Although some buildup will occur over time (HP oil) it won't be as bad as using a competitors oil. If you can handle the extra cost, a 6 pack of 5 gallon mix bottles is $42.00 at my dealer vs. $21.00 for the HP. You are double the cost, but for a new machine or if your new to the brand I'd put the extra $$ out for synthetic.