Buying a buisness name?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bommaritro, Jan 22, 2003.

1. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I went down to file my DBA at the local clerks office and low and behold the name was already taken. As luck would have the name is registered to a friend of mine who ran a landscaping business for several years then started up a Roofing and Construction Company which is very profitable. He hasn't used the name in quite sometime maybe 4-5 years. My guess is that there still is going to be some name recognition associated with it. Do you think it is worth it to pay some money (possibly $100-$500)to get the name or just plunk down my $35 and come up with a different name?

The name I was looking to use
    Southern Tier Landscaping

Other names that I was kicking around
    Bommarito's Landscaping
    R.B. Landscaping

A few funny ones
    B. Mowing
    B. Landscaping

Any info or ideas would be helpful.
  2. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same situation with my first choice, except the name was being used by a going concern in another community within the county. I went to my first alternative for my business name. In my opinion, there are enough start-up costs without purchasing your business name. In my case, I spent more on software and laptop upgrades than I anticipated. Even though the start-up costs for the lawn care business are low in comparison to some other businesses, they are still significant.
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Those names expire if not used, at least here they do.

Take him out to lunch in exchange for his company name.

Make it a positive thing, he can even brag to his buddies "Yep, I originally owned that company..."
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

The Southern Tier is a pretty broad geographic area and I know that there is a Southern Tier Lawn Service in Owego that is incorporated. That would be pretty close and you may have problems getting that name if you decided to incorporate as it isn't too far from you. I know in PA problems can arise registering a name if you incorporate if it is similar or a play on another name. Could cause you problems in the future. Not to using your last name in the business name, you are putting your signature on all your work. Also, I believe you would not have to deal with all the Fictitious name/DBA filings. At least that is how it works in PA.

P.S. I grew up in Endicott, so I do know the area.
  5. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

Pick a new name. Your first choice was nice but not worth paying for.
  6. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Ask him, he might say ok, you can use for free.

If not, then ask him what he wants.

In my opinion business names are overrated.

Some of the largest companies in this area are just the owner's name then Lawn Care or Landscaping or something of that nature.
  7. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

If you use the Bommarito's Landscaping name it will be first in the yellow pages anyway. Or one of the first I should say.

8. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Bommaritro is a good name to use for your biz. has a ring to it.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How about Bommaritro Land Care? Or, Bammaritro Lawn Care?
  10. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

Scrapper -
    I never thought about the Inc portion part that you brought up. I hadn't planned on doing that right out of the gate but I guess it is something to think about.

I was worried that people would only associate my buisness with lawn and land care only it was also the reason that I shyed away from Bommarito's Mowing. I thought that landscaping would cover the whole spectrum of installs, desgin, mowing, ect..

I am thinking about the same thing. I am worrued about adding additional cost before the buisness gets going. As far as software and laptops go I am taken care of since I am in the IT feild as we speak I have already been given everything I need.