Buying a CAT 277... Any last words of advice?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cjmoore82, Mar 17, 2011.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

I will sell you my deere CT332 that is in darn near mint condition for 19k. And I will deliver it to you. It had problems with the wheel motors and I spent over 16k getting them back to brand new condition. Has brand new tracks with about 2hrs on them. Full cab and ac. New turbo, new this new that. If it was worn I replaced it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. tbone1471

tbone1471 LawnSite Member

I have a 2005/6 267B if your interested. It has 2300hrs the tracks are about 40% and it has two boogies that could use some love as well as some idlers. I would do 18K delivered. I have to say it is a nice machine. They really do float on mud but, I would stay far away from pavement. And, keeping the undercarriage clean is a pain. For the one your looking at for 27K, look elsewhere.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I'll sell you my Takeuchi TL130 for $25,000, it's a bit smaller, but it's a tank.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cjmoore82

cjmoore82 LawnSite Member

We had a Deere 323 last year for an entire month. Beautiful machine but I was having problems lifting a wet pallet of sod. It kept creeping down on me while driving. Maybe the actual machine, maybe the model... It was brand new too. How many hours are on the CT322 your buying.

5. cjmoore82

I dealt with coastal last year. Your are correct about their customer service. Read my prior post, I explained what machine I had prior.

I appreciate the link, I will check it out.

As for the price, I definately negotiated the price. Hit him at $25,500 or full asking price with some maintenance and 12 month power train and hydraulic warranty. If it dont happen then I am sure someone else will take my money.

Thanks to everyone who is offering their machines. Keep offering.... Looking for enclosed and something that can lift like a cat 277.

6. cjmoore82

bobcat_ron, Dont you want to tell me to get a bobcat? HAHA.

As for the 277 C rather than the B, I understand the difference. I have heard that the undercarriage can last long if kept clean. This machine looks like it is in great shape. Original tracks have plenty (40-50%) of life left with no chunks taken out of the tracks. Who ever bought it prior really did take good shape of it. The rental period scares me a bit and that is why the tracks are full of mud in the pic. I have searched this machine and I feel like its a good price but I guess everyone else does not agree. I usually go with the consensus.

7. P.Services

Call your cat dealer and ask a salesman about repo machines. My salesman sent me info on a 277c with 400 hours on it, full cab ac/heat radio bucket and forks for 27,000. Didn't have 2spd or I would have bought it. Do some looking and you can catch a great deal in these times.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cjmoore82

Is that machine still available?? The price of used machinery is going up since everyone is pulling out of the economic slump. We have been looking for a bit and I really did think this was a good deal, until everyone on this website said to keep looking. haha. I know I could probably look up some cheaper units, but havent really found anything... I still havent bought so I am still looking.

9. Stick Pro

Stick Pro LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked out machinerytrader.com i was looking on there you can get a 277c for the low thirty's on there. The C series is night and day better than the B series, worth the extra cash. Good luck, we want to see some pics when you do purchase your new machine.

10. P.Services

No the repos sell the same day. I wouldn't hesitate to spen an extra 5-10 grand to get into a C though. Do it right the first time and thank yourself later again and again. Make sure you get 2spd also.
    Posted via Mobile Device