Buying a F-150

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rb_in_va, Oct 16, 2006.

1. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

I test drove a 95 F-150 4X4 Supercab LB with 114k miles yesterday. It's in great condition. No known issues. The guy just replaced the auto hubs with manual hubs due to a problem with the originals. He had the truck listed at $5395, and I said I would only pay $4500. Not because his truck is not worth more, I just know I can get what I need for $4500 or less. He said he would take no less than $4700 because he just had the hubs replaced. What do you guys think? Here's a pic.

F-150.jpg

2. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

What engine and transmission is in that truck, of course all of them will be good engines as long as they are in good shape. If it's the automoatic you're towing will be better than the 5-speed manual, the 5-speeds were not very heavy duty in those trucks and not rated for very much.

That truck will do alot of work but I wouldn't look to tow much more than a trailer full of lawn mowers with that truck.

Other than that the ball joints in the front spindle knuckles, the radius arm bushings and the axle pivot bushings are common wear points in the front. A days job in a decently-well equippped home shop along with a helper.

3. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

It's a 5.0 with auto transmission. I won't be towing anything. I'm not in the LC business. It will be my vehicle to drive to work, and the hardware store on the weekends. It's really more truck than I need, but more is better than less, right? And if I get it for the right price I'll be happy.

4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a '94 F-150 Ext Cab like that one, but mine is 2WD, not 4X4. I have 267,000 miles on it, 5.0 with auto tranny. I plan to seel it next spring (I hope) and upgrade to a heavier truck. I am planning to ask $5K. So, for that '95, 4X4 and no more miles than it is, I saw the $4700 is still a relly good deal. Take it while you can. Also, if you equip it correctly, you can pull up to 7000-8000 lbs with that truck with little trouble. It looks to be in great shape. Go for it.

5. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

It's good to hear from you guys that it seems to a good deal, and I may buy it. But first I want to drive a few other ones to have something to compare to.

6. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Not using that truck for work there is ALOT of life left in it.
    I still question the towing 7-8,000 lbs with it (closer to 5-6000) but if you have a heavy boat or utility trailer you should be able to do quite a bit with it.

7. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Yeah, the owner is an UPS driver and just drove it to work for the most part. He said the first owner used it similiarly. At some point I may tow something with it, but no plans at present. I don't own a trailer or boat.

8. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

My '94 has a book rated towing capacity of 7300lbs. I know that I have put 8000 lbs behind it (or more) and it pulled without struggle. I would not do it everyday, and of course I am pulling flatland in South Georgia.

I have on several occasions loaded our previous Chevorlet 1500 Suburban onto our 18' Flatbed and pulled it with the F-150. That is how I got it to Savannah, GA form Jacksonville Florida when I first bought the Suburban. Was it over weight? Yes. Did it handle the pull? Yes. Would I do it everyday, or even everyweek, NO! But it is a strong truck and the one you are looking at is well worth the $4700 from what I can see and my expereince with my '94 F-150.

9. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

i have an 86 150 XLT with the 5.0 and auto tranny...this thing is pretty decent...i love it....im pulling 4500Lbs of enclosed trailer w/ z-rider....no problems at all....i would get it...plus its a ford:clapping:

10. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a '96 just like that one only with the 5.8. It was a great truck. I sold it about 2 years ago with over 136k on it for $7,000, so I would buy the one that you are looking at for $4700. The hubs are a common problem. Also watch the rearend, they like to go. The truck I bought had to have the rearend replaced (before I bought it from a family friend). They are great trucks. Should be perfect for what you need.