Buying a Fastrak - Honda or Kohler?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MarkD, Mar 11, 2006.

1. MarkD

MarkD LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We'll I finally got my brother to the Hustler dealer and after having a look at the quality and taking a little ride around the parking lot he is convinced.

We ordered a 52" Fastrak with the Kohler 20HP engine.

I'm having second thoughts on not getting a Honda engine.

What is the difference between the Honda 18HP and 20HP engine. From looking at the specs it seems like the engines are identical. In fact, from looking at the power curved it looks as though carburation may be the only difference as the HP and torque curves flatten out (or drop of in the case of the torque curve). This is typical behavior when an engine is under-carburated, the engine can't breath at higher rpm's.

Does anyone know the differences between the 18HP and 20HP Honda engines?

Also is the Honda worth it? Besides being a two cylinder design and being inherently better balanced harmonically can anyone point out other subjective differences between the Honda and Kohler engines?

Thanks,

Mark

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your analogy on the difference between the 18 and 20 Honda's is pretty much right on.
    How much are you cutting? if it is minimal, then I would stay with the Kohler, if it is larger, then I would go for the Honda, it runs quieter and is a smoother running engine.

Pj

3. MarkD

MarkD LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Pj,

Thanks. Me and my brother live next door and are buying it together. We have 2 acres combined so we're going to stay with the 20HP Kohler.

Can't wait until the mower comes in!

- Mark

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Cool, let us know once you have it and how much you love it.

Pj

5. MarkD

MarkD LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Don't worry I will! The last tractor we used was in the '70's. This is funny. It was an 8HP "Huffy." I think it cost about $300 new and was a real piece of junk.

There was a cotter pin used as a shear pin in the steering and it would shear about two times every time we cut the grass. In addition the deck was so bad the cut was horrible. That is my last experience with a riding mower. This is going to be quite a revelation.

Thanks to everybody here for all the great advice.

- Mark