Buying a Ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by STIPPY, Jul 23, 2001.

1. STIPPY

STIPPY LawnSite Member

I'M NEW TO THE INDUSTRY AND LOOKING INTO PURCHASING A NEW FERRIS I/S 3000 ZTR. THE PRICE I WAS QUOTED WAS 7K.
    AFTER RESEARCHING SOME OLDER THREADS, THIS SEEMS TO BE A GOOD PRICE. ANY HELP OUT THERE?
    HOW DO THEY HOLD UP?

THANKS,

STIPPY

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Please read the Posting Guidelines and follow them.
    (* Opinions that slam a manufacturer or product must be
    backed up with facts! If you don't own or have not owned or operated a particular
    piece of equipment or product your opinion is worthless and will not be expressed
    at the expense of manufacturer slander.)

Edited by Eric ELM

3. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Ferris will hold up like a tank.

Yes, that is a good price.

Make sure to demo all units and research your dealer support.

PS.. noticed this is your first post. In the future please don't use all CAPS. IT IS YELLING.

Chuck Keough

4. turfstar2000

turfstar2000 LawnSite Member

Ferris has some very hot items in their line-up. I have personally owned several and know some of the boys at Ferris.
    Great guys!
    That IS system is nice.

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you actually go demo the unit you are looking to get. You may get on it and say "Man I hate the way this feels". I personally love the Hustler brand, but you may not. Also ask if you can demo the machine at your lawn or a property you mow. Then and only then you will get a true feel for how it works in a real working environment, the one you are used to. It might feel great, but cut terrible in your opinion. Just wanting you to try it out before you buy. Most of our dealers around here have demo units and are willing to bring then to me for a trial run. I hope it works out for you!;)

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Stippy,
    Do a search on Ferris & I think you will find some good info. ED

7. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with gator alot of it is personal prefrence i also agre that you should demo everything you are intrested in then you will know what is right for you.. remember dont get pressured by a dealer (they are like landscapers ; if you wait just a minute there will be another coming down the road with a better deal)

8. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

My personal experience is that you need to be sure to know what your dealer can do for you. On the other hand, if Ferris themselves won't help it doesn't matter what the dealers do. There are people on this forum including myself who are less than satisfied with Ferris. Think long and hard before you spend your $7000.00. You might look up an individual by the name of Bubenburg and see if he has gotten any satisfaction with his recent purchase. If Bubenburg doesn't respond, I would suggest you send him a PM. This is why it's so important that the manufacturer responds to problems with their equipment!

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I demoed the Ferris I/S 3000 at the expo. I was not impressed..... the streering levers were very stiff to move and i did not find the suspension all that amazing... tell you the truth I like the ride of my toro better. The quality of cut on the ferris is supposed to be so-so...... demo it for a day if you can before you make a decision!

10. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I agree with finecut on his post,as a dealer and not for ferris you need the dist 100% and then the manufacturers 100%,and if you can't get that from them because they can.t be bothered or it does not mean money for them the dealer cannot do any for you,no matter how hard he has tried