Buying a homeowner trimmer for a different reason...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lildog132, Jun 1, 2008.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

After using a high priced commerical redmax trimmer for about the last 6 years, it finally died the other day. I was going to buy another high priced commerical trimmer by one of the local Mower shops, but instead I decided to buy the most expensive homeowner trimmer from home depot. The model number is an Echo SRM-230 and was priced at $269.00. It is still a very high powered trimmer. I decided to do this because they offer an extented warranty for 2 years for $39 extra that covers anything that ever happens to it. I feel like this was a better move, because Mower shops do not offer this kind of extended warranty with their commerical equipment, and if something did happen to it, I wouldn't have anything to do, but have it repaired for probably a high price.

Does anybody else do this out there?
  2. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

i do. they only thing is that if it does break they will ask did you use this commercially, ive always responded with the classic naw i have a really big yard haha
  3. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

yeah, they aren't supposed to sell the Warranty if you use it commerically or for a business. I got an extented warrany on one of my back back blowers from Sears, and when I had it repaired for the first time they called me when it was done and heard my businesses name on my voicemail. They ended up saying I had to pay for the repair and were going pay me back the extended warrany price.
  4. railman

railman LawnSite Member

I do the same. I have that same trimmer and it works just as goodas the commercial for less price
  5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

SRM-230 is a commercial trimmer. SRM 210 and up are commercial.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

you get what you pay for
  7. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

The commercial warranty on any echo product (and most mfgs) is for 1 year only. If you use it commercially and try to get warranty work done after that period you are committing fraud!

Why does everyone think they get something for nothing?
  8. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Its a good trimmer & a good purchase i have Echo and they are the best running equipment i have and they are real good on fuel, as a matter of fact i use my Echo's more then my Shindaiwa's.
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Stihl fs 55 strait shaft that I have been using for years, including one large cemetery that I bought it for because of the weight. I didn't try to get around the commercial warranty. I''m saying all this to say it has preformed very well over the years. Its just smaller, weaker, smaller tank, etc. Great little trimmer to go with my fs85 and a 250.
  10. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

How much will it cost you when you have warranty work done and it takes them 3 weeks to get it back to you. If you have a backup trimmer, then I guess no problem. I have just heard too many nightmares about the big box stores and their "service work" on equipment.