BUYING A JOHN DEERE 48 Walk BEHIND

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rjones1, Feb 21, 2007.

1. rjones1

rjones1 LawnSite Member
    from 01775

First time buyers, we've looked at all brands and believe were going to buy a John Deere. Scag and Exmark are also possibilties but the Deere is better in price. Please any info is appreciated.

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i like john deere buy the extra warranty it will save you lots in the future. they have great service and check on loaners when your is in for repair.

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I was contemplating the Deere myself, but I haven't seen a lot of positive mentions of the brand on this forum. (Not many negative either.) It seems to me that Toro and Exmark get higher ratings so I am going to go with the Toro.

4. wnccutter

wnccutter LawnSite Member

I went through that decision making process last year...I ended up with the Exmark, Turf Tracer HP 19hp 48"...on hills the Exmark seemed easier to work with and less tiring because of the handles...everything else I own is a JD though...

5. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

Things to think about
    Hydro vs. Belt drive, I have and older jd walkbehind hydro and it will out pull , climb and go though wet grass better then my belt drive exmark metro.

I would also check out the decks on the machines my exmark has a very deep deck to it cut and throws debris much better then my shallow deck on my JD
    Hope this helps
    Andrew

6. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

husquvarna is the way to go or at least for me it is

7. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i also prefer belt drive, i know hydro's out blah blah blah belt drives, but with belt theres a lot less to go wrong with it, too when something does go wrong its cheaper and easier to fix