Buying a mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cooltype, May 7, 2006.

1. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

I was thinking about buying a bobcat i believe its a 52" deck with a sulky and 17hp kawasaki motor. Its 4 years old and runs fine in good shape, not even used commercially and the guy is wanting $1500, does this seem like a fair price?? jw

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it has never been used commercially then it really should look almost brand-new, paint still shines? If it has been kept outside then the paint might have faded but the guy should've had the sense to cover it with a tarp, other than that what was the machine used for? I mean, does the guy have a 12-acre lot of horse pasture or might he be a bit red and just wanted something decent for his 1-2 acre lot?

Either way, if it's clean and in good shape, $1,500 is almost a steal, maybe not quite but the price is certainly fair by my book.
    Let me put it another way: I just recently sold my 1995 52" Toro with a velke, the whole bagging hardware and an aftermarket 15hp Vanguard (2 year old briggs engine) for $900, and that machine was used commercially almost exclusively thou it did sit for around 3 years and not consecutively but a few months at a time, here and there.
    I'd say you're on the money but I can't see the mower from here.

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the mower a hydro or belt drive?

4. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

Its belt drive and comes with a sulky and my old mower threw a rod today so i went on and bought it. The guy i bought it froms neighbor owns a place that sells mowing equipment and he threw in a 3 month warranty from that place on anything that might brake thats not normal wear and tear, he said because he was confident everything was in good shape so if it does screw up i can just bring it there and get it fixed ive already talked to the guy who runs the place also. I mowed with it today and feel pretty confident with it. THanks