1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying a new brushog-type mower: What brand to buy?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Mowingman, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am in the market for a new 6 foot, 3pt hitch-mounted brush mower for my 53hp tractor. I will be mowing tall weeds, and light brushy growth. I will not be doing any heavy brush clearing with it. What brands should I be looking at. I do not want a light-duty piece of junk that will need welding work every time I use it, but I do not need to spend a fortune on a super heavy duty one either. Thanks.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Look at Bushog, Woods, Rhino, and landpride are some big brands to look at. Also Howse is starting to make some pretty good bushog's and they are quite a bit cheaper. You may also want to look at King Kutter for a cheaper alternative as well.
  3. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

When I first read the title of your post, I thought to myself that there are several "parameters" for a bush hog. HP of the tractor is one. What are you cutting is another. You nailed those down. :D

I do about (with 2 and sometimes 3 tractors running) around 3000 man hours worth of bush hogging per year. You get anything from cutting tall grass to land clearing. Also consider that you will from time to time, hit trash/objects buried in the weeds. It's best to go slightly over-kill as opposed to a too light duty mower. :D

Most of the "main-line companies" (Woods, Bush Hog, Rhino, Schulte, Deere, ect) market light duty, medium duty, and heavy duty mowers today. The heavy duty types will cut up to a 4" tree.... You need a stout tractor to handle one like that. They're generally VERY wieghty, and VERY expensive. payup

Over the years, I've owned several brands. (Woods, Bush Hog, Rhino, and Deere) I've had remarkable luck with Woods. They're widely distributed, so finding a dealer/parts outlet isn't tough. They're priced competitive with all others, and I get excelent service out of them. :) :cool2:

I currently use BB840 and BB8400 models (7' medium and 7' HEAVY duty models) :)

You said that you're looking at 6'.... Based on your needs, and the size you want, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Woods BB720. That's the medium duty 6'er. Until last spring, I had one in my "fleet". Good mower, it served well for 3 years, and re-sold for about 80% of it's original purchase price. :D

I'd recommend going 20 HP higher on the gearbox rating, than your tractors output, at minimum, just to be on the safe side. (I believe that the Woods BB720 is a 90HP gear box, if my decrepid mind is working right this morning :rolleyes: )
  4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I use the landpride 15 series,it's a decent machine for the money!
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a landpride RCR 15 48" and when I get a bigger tractor I will get a woods medium duty. I like the woods better since their light dutys are built heavier than the landpride light dutys.

This landpride I only have because I was in the right place at the right time other wise it would be a woods.
  6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If I'm not mistaken Woods can be found at most JD dealers, at least around here they are.

We have a 4' Howse for our Farmall 140 and it does pretty good, and it was only $500.

My grandfather has a JD MX-7 bushhog, it is a heavy piece for the 5205 to handle, have to counterweight the front end a lot. It has the HP but the weight balance is not quite right for it to be perfect.