buying a new compact tractor

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by pinson, Feb 26, 2005.

1. pinson

pinson LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about buying a compact tractor. I looked at a MF gc2310 yesterday. I like the size of it. Small enough to get into yards, but with 23 hp I don't know if it will have enough power. I've been doing landscape work for 3 years with not much equipment mostly hand type. I could see where this tractor would save me alot of time. Any suggestion wuold help.

2. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

one heck of a machine, with a front loader, 60" deck 3 point hitch etc-

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd say take a look at a larger Massey Ferguson. They are good tractors and priced reasonably also.

4. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

a 23hp tractor would be a massive improvement to hand type tool's i think this tractor with various attachment's would serve you very ,very well..23 hp in a little tractor is plenty of power

5. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

the new JD 3000 and 4000 twenty series tractors felt real good when i tried one out. and thier hydrostatic tranny felt real good.

6. snmhanson

snmhanson LawnSite Member

One thing to watch out for, some of the sub-compacts don't have a true category 1 3pt. hitch and can't take all of the cat 1 implements such as certain post hole diggers among others. I'm not sure about that on the GC2310 but I was looking at a (comparable) Kubota BX2230 last year and ended up moving up to a larger B series partly for that reason. I also liked the greater capacities of the B series for what I was doing with it. I think your decision should depend on what you are going to do with it. Is a smaller footprint and more maneuvarabilty important or do you want power and versitility? There are several tractor specific websites that you might want to check out, my favorite being tractorbynet dot com.

Matt

7. earthtrends

earthtrends LawnSite Senior Member

Pinson I bought a New Holland 33D 4x4 with a loader last year and I love it. It is the gear drive though. I also have a New Holland 33 hydro and it does ok with working yards but doesn't handle loads very well being a hydro. Just my imput.

8. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I would really look at the New Holland myself.... I have a TC33 D Hydro and a TC 35 gear with shuttle shift . I love both tractor.... Great tractors.

9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new Mf 1428V 4x4 2 years ago. 28hp diesel. We use it for bushhogging, grading and snow removal sometimes. The front end loader is big time saver on certain jobs. It's a gear drive, would get hydro if could do over.