buying a new enclosed, what should I look for?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RedWingsDet, May 22, 2005.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Im buying a new enclosed before thursday. Most likely a 7x16. What should I look for besides making sure it has a ramp gate and brakes?

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Mark,
    These are the things we get when we buy them.

extended tounge
    plywood interior walls, not luan
    heavy duty floor
    roof and side vents
    radial tires, not bias ply

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

A side door.. It comes in handy..

4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some have a little more head room, mine is like that.....show us some pics when you get it!!!

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot to tell you in the PM, milllbrook has a 7.5 or 8X16 that they call a landscaper special, ramp, side door, vents (roof & side) fuel door, heavy duty floor, stone guard & more I just cant remember all of it. ask about it when you talk to them. :D

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Line-X on the floor, ramp and 2' up all the walls.

Best $$ I've ever spent.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Get a wells cargo. The best of the best. I love mine. Only wish the ceiling was taller. (formally it was a harley hauler so height wasn't really needed.)

Plywood walls is a must. I really wish mine had them.

Also 16' is not long enought. I already want a 18', heck maybe a 20'. You never can get as much stuff inside an enclosed as you can with an open.

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Totally agree here. I have an 8 x 20 and I want an 8 x 22! I catch myself quite often wishing for another foot or two.

Totally disagree with this statement. I have stuff hanging on every wall AND from the ceiling in my enclosed. Try hanging stuff from the ceiling in an open trailer..........

:D

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

True. Mine is packed. Tons of green touch racks, greaseguns, trimmer line, hand tools, etc. Soon to have a custom built grassgobbler rack with a tool box. Plus a gas can rack across the tongue

But you can't hang a set of walkbehind handles over the edge. Or when hauling a tractor stick the bucket over the front lip and have the backhoe hang over the tailgate. Or better yet. Have an enclosed with the roof 2" shorter than your roll bar on your tractor. ARGH :realmad: I really wish I knew that before I bought it.

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Our tractor goes on a different trailer all together. It shares this one with my race car.