Buying a new Gravely ZTR and need some input

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aaron's Lawn Care, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I'm going next week to pick up a Gravely 152M ZTR from my local dealership. Finally had to bite the bullet and buy a new mower. My 61" Scag WB has been in the shop way too much lately. My only choices in brand are Scag, Gravely, and Yazoo-Kees. Scags are way to expensive and I'm not a fan of Yazoo-Kees. So that leaves Gravely.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with Gravely mowers (this is my first Gravely) or if anyone has any experience with this mower in particular? This is my first ZTR. I know it's not their biggest/top of the line model, but I'm solo and only cutting 40-50 lawns per week.

I was also wondering, what accessories should I get for the mower? I think I definitely need the ROPS and a trailer hitch kit. What about the suspension seat upgrade and a striping kit?

Here is the info on it from the Gravely website:
    http://www.gravely.com/products/zeroturn/152m/default.asp

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Aaron, I'm on my second Gravely ZTR, and have been well satisfied with both. My first was a 2002 250Z, and my current mower is a 2007 260. I'm assuming the one you are looking to buy is the XDZ model with the X-factor deck? The new deck is a big improvement over the previous one as far as clogging and handling wet grass. It also stripes quite a bit better "out of the box" than the 250 did. I have never used a striping kit, so can't advise you there.

The primary difference, I think, in the 100 and 200 series of their mowers is the pivoting front end. Mine will lock, but I've never run it that way, as I like the pivoting as it takes some of the roughness out of the ride. I also think the suspension seat is standard on the 200 series?? But, to answer your question, yes, do buy the suspension seat. The new ones work quite well. The older model helped some, but not nearly as much as the latest design.

Also, seriously consider the hydraulic deck lift. I would not buy a mower without one. It simply takes some of the work out of running the mower, both loading, and while mowing. Just hit the lever to raise the deck a bit to go over an obstacle, or coming out of a ditch. I use mine dozens of times each day just to prevent scalping or miss a rock. I believe anything that makes you less tired at the end of the day is worth the expense, and when figured over the life of the machine, it really isn't that expensive.

Well, gotta go to my "day" job. Good luck, and any more questions, let me know. Neill

3. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 2006 160 XDZ and really like it a lot. They don't make the 160 anymore so the 152 XDZ would be as close as you can get. I would try and swing for the XDZ model if I could. The non XDZ and the XDZ both have the new "X-Factor" deck. If you can get a left over 2006 model of any of the Gravely ZTRs, jump on that deal. The 2006s were built with more heavy duty components. Just one example: the 2006 152M came with a 200 ft/lb clutch. Check the 2007 152M clutch specs. and see the difference, 2007 is 125 ft/lb
    Ask your dealer if he can bring in a leftover 2006 from somewhere else if he don't have one. Also the 2006 PM 260Z, aka 260M comes standard with suspension seat and also has the X-Factor deck. Anyway good luck shopping. If you have anymore questions as to the 2006 specs. let me know.

4. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I really appreciate the input guys!

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The 152Z is a fine little mower.

I don't think you can buy a better compact 52".

Invest in the suspension seating for sure.
    Save your money on the stripe kit....
    I'll help you build one real cheap and you can spend that money on a mulch kit or chute blocker, or whatever else...

6. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Was just checking out the mower on there website. What is the price for the model you are getting? Just curious. Looking at adding another small compact zero turn for next year.

7. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

don't do it buy a john deere instead you can't go wrong and get the 4 year extended warranty you will be much happier

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

This was my first ZTR myself, I love it! Although I think its a little under powered thats about the only thing I can find. We added the bagger kit, and a striper kit. The stripe kit was a PITA to install but worth it, my lawns look great and there is a definite difference with and with out the stripe kit. You will love the new XDZ deck Ive only had to clean it out twice this year. There is very very minimal grass build up. Ours came with the suspension seat, another great option if yours doesnt come with it. All-in-all well worth the money. BTW, what are you paying for it? Ours with the bagger, stripe kit came to around $8700.00 Check out my previous thread on my review of it.(search Gravely)

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

When you buy JD you are paying for the name and color. ALL JD are oever priced.
    I have a 260Z w/ the X-factor deck and the quality is top notch. I recommend a 252 XDZ, it has tuffer pumps on it (21cc instead of 10cc), stronger clutch, bigger motors. Nothing Gravely makes is junk but if your gonna buy a mower for work, get the biggest and best mower you can get as the features will pay for them selves in no time.

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Their stripe kit was only 50 bucks Envy,lol.