Buying a new lawn mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Eric1, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Eric1

Eric1 LawnSite Member

All right, I know that there are a lot of threads about this, but as with everyone, I need help.
    I am sixteen, and am starting a lawn business. I bought the Echo 770 last fall and made quite a bit of money. Now I'm looking at buying a lawn mower. I was looking at the eXmark metro and viking, as well as the Scag Sw and Swz. I have general ideas about how much they run in price, but I kind of would like some more concrete estimates.
    Any advice would be great, I'm not set on getting a scag or eXmark, I have looked at a lot of brands.
    I have a budget of about $4000. I could potentially wait a year to save up more money, but would prefer to buy it this year.

2. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

$4000 will get you a new SnapperPro 36" dual hydro. Great machine to start and always a good backup when/if you expand and for small/gated yards. Throw a Velke on and you can be very efficient.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Welcome to LS! I am also in Northern Va, up in Vienna. I would call dealers for quotes. I was quoted over 6k for a scag swz in a 36', but others say my dealer is ridiculous. See what your dealer has to offer. Exmark and scag are both good brands.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. echo

Could be wrong. Not a Scag guy but pretty sure $6100 is around full list price for the 36" swz. Can't imagine paying that for a full pistol grip 36.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cutshortlandscaping

cutshortlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

go on craigslist and search for mowers. im kind of in your shoes i turned 17 earlier in the month ive been in the buesness for four years working on updating my fleet and i need a 36" mower i mow mostly large yards just bought a brand new scag ztr 52" but want a 36" for some small yard pool gates etc. but look around take it slow and some good old mower will turn up. also do you have a mode of transport and a string trimmer

6. cutshortlandscaping

thats pretty mush what my dealer qouted me for a swz 52"

7. echo

$6100 sounds more like it for a Scag 52. IMO for a 36" that's ridiculous, no matter what area it is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Eric1

Eric1 LawnSite Member

I was looking at some on Craig's list, but there were very few results. Ill keep looking.
    Another question I have is, I heard that you have to replace the engines on equipment around every 2000hours. Is that true? If it is, that's insane. I used to use a mower that was 20 years old, and it worked fine.
    I have been using a clients mower to do his lawn (big mistake) he leaves it out in the rain all the time and never changes the oil or filters. Douring the fall, i was using his cyclone rake to pick up leaves (he's prejudiced against leaf blowers) when all of a sudden smoke sprays out of the exhaust vent. I immediately shut it off to see a giant puddle of oil under it.
    This is one of my main reasons for wanting to buy a new mower. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Eric1

Eric1 LawnSite Member

I just found a scag sw 36 with (apparently) two seasons on it. $2000hmm, two seasons huh, new isn't it around $3500?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cutshortlandscaping

i would not worry about it the replacing the engine just use it til it dies than go buy anew mower or most of the time just get a new engine commercial mowers are pretty mush built to last theres guy on this forum who still use the scag super z witch came out in the early 90's