Buying a new Tiger Cub tomorrow, which motor 19 Kaw or 20 Kohler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Midwest Mower, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Midwest Mower

Midwest Mower LawnSite Member

Heading says it all. All replies appreciated.

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got one with the 19 kawi last season and i have had no problems whatsoever.. power was good, a little weak in very long and wet grass but not a big deal.I dont know much about kohler engines but i have seen a lot of bad posts about them.For only 1hp i dont think its much of a difference.I like the kawi engines.. any problems ive had in the past customer service has been nothing but great to me
  3. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 48" scag cub with 19 hp kaw on it. The dealer was not going to have the 20 hp, they said that it would cost a lot more. I have a 2001 52" scag cub with a kaw 23 hp. Great machine. I'm sure the 19 hp will be big enough.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have had both kohler and kawi's. From my experiance from here on out the ONLY motor that will power my equipment will be Kohlers. "Knock on wood" To date I have never had a Kohler go bad on me. I have on the other hand had all of my Kawi's go bad. My Gravely 50" pro had a Kohler magnum with 3,500 hours on it before i retired the mower and it still ran like a champ. And I will be honest, I only did 2 oil changes on it EVER. The only thing i have ever had go bad on a Kohler is an ignition module. Not bad huh? I sure cant say that for the Kawi's. I say if the price isnt much difference then go with the Kohler!
  5. Midwest Mower

Midwest Mower LawnSite Member

Both models are the same price. I would like to get a few more responses before I buy. Please keep the comments coming.

6. johnbast3

johnbast3 LawnSite Member

I have two kohlers,one kawi,one honda on a tiger cub..Both kohlers have been trouble,terrible gas mileage,and loud.Kawi has been trouble free,and the honda is brand new,so I can't report..JB
  7. cowcutter

cowcutter LawnSite Member
    from Ky

I have had a tiger with a kohler 25hppro, I take great care of my equipment.Bought brand new, first engine blew at 200hrs, after hrs. of tough calls, they actually sent me a new engine, my dealer said I was the first person ever to make that happen.As the guy above stated, the ignition modules are a problem, atleast they were, my second kohler engine blew heads consistently.I no longer have that mower, I also have a scag wb with a kaw. Awesome engine. Personally. for riders, diesel is the only way to go. Hope this helps.
  8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Very strange about all the Kohler problems. Our magnum had zero problems in almost 3,500 hours of use except for the ignition module. Out Lazer Z has the Kohler command pro 18hp and now has 1,500 hours with out a single problem. We had 2 36" scags with the 12.5 kawi's and they were both hard to start and both let loose in just 2 years time.