1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying a new ZTR mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by schramerica, Feb 24, 2012.

1. schramerica

schramerica LawnSite Member

Ok I am going to buy a new mower. Just got rid of my Dixon and will not get another one. I know I should stay local for repairs so here are my choices: Hustler, Country Clipper, Landpride, Toro, & John Deere. I would like opinions on the best cut, fastest, and worth the money. I do some cemeteries and a few residental country lawns. So the fastest, best cut, and money.
  2. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

I do not what prices you are accustom to, the Toro Zmaster 60" we have has been unreal in my opinion. Fast, great cut and durable.
  3. Fresh-popcorn

Fresh-popcorn LawnSite Member

If all your looking for is opinion then I would say that the John Deere Z900 series are top notch.

Having owned 3 Ferris, Dixie, Toro, and now John Deere I know for a certain the the JD cuts so much better than the others except maybe the Toro Proline that I have.

Not having owned any other brands besides the ones mentioned though so I can't speak for the other brands.
  4. schramerica

schramerica LawnSite Member

How fast do they go?
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

10.5 - 12mph

if you want speed get a hustler super z.
  6. Fresh-popcorn

Fresh-popcorn LawnSite Member

Don't let speed fool ya.
    I rarely ever cut at full speed even though I have the option to do so on certain straight areas.
    depending on the height of grass, dampness, and terrain you will know what the safe speed is and its not at full.
  7. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I am a Scag guy but out of the brands you have available,I'd go with Toro or Hustler. Both are built well and leave a nice cut.
  8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I can speak firsthand for Toro and especially John Deere. Of the two, I'd take JD, but both will do the job for you. The Hustler has had a lot of posts here on LS over the last year about trouble with the cut of the new VX4 deck on many mid west and northern turf grasses. A search should turn up plenty of reading ont that. JT Larsen posted quite a bit here about it last year too.
  9. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

10. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

My vote would be for the Hustler if the VX4 deck performs. Fastest, best warranty, well laid out and easy to service. I do have weekly properties that I can run full stick on. But probably 3/4 of the time I'm guessing I run in the 10-12 mph range. Would be a major adjustment going with a slower mower. That being said I haven't been able to test the new VX4 deck myself. If the deck is sketchy I'll possibly be looking at another brand myself this spring. Hustler has done awesome for me in every area except clipping dispersal (these are earlier decks). I'm leaning toward Exmark if Hustler falls short and this is out of Bad Boy and John Deere that are my other local options. I'd have to travel four hours each way to try Scag and Grasshopper which would also be in the same league IMO. Good luck and keep us posted on what you do.