Buying a Oregon 88-021 Blade Sharpener

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bladecutter582, May 15, 2008.

1. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

Well I know that over time there has been a lot discussion about which blade sharpener to buy.
    I have it down to this unit and want anyone who has one to share what they think and what kind of service you have experienced.

Also who is selling these at a good price.

Freight seems to be high due to the weight.

Also which grinding stone is best.

2. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

its not what your lookin for but i've been using the same $40 craftsman bench grinder for years and it does just as good a job as i've ever seen done.

3. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

How do you keep from overheating the metal (turns Blue) and takes the temper out of it making it soft?:confused:

4. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

well i don't have any expierence with the oregon model, although i have looked at one. i think if you aren't a small engine shop sharpening lots of blades per week, than it should suit you, as it would me.

as for bench grinders and hand held grinders, i used those for a few years, then i wised up and i pay a guy to sharpen mine with a fancy blade grinder. my blades stay sharper longer, and i could never get the quality of what that machine could do with a bench grinder.

also don't skimp on a balancer. i used a cheap-o, and then put those blades on a magna-matic balancer. it was like i hadn't even tried to balance them they were so far off.

5. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

it takes about 45 seconds for me on each side of the blade and i get it good. i've heard this before and i know some guys dunk it in a pale of water but i've never understood why it takes so long that you'd have a problem with it heating up real bad. i do wear gloves cause the blade does get hot but i've been doing it this way for years.

6. bladecutter582

I too have a bench grinder. Been using it for years and never have been able to "keep" the correct blade angle. I know I have ground a lot more steel than I should have. Besides they seem to dull a whole lot sooner. So after getting into this full time I"m spending the "Bucks" and going to give this a try.
    My Scag dealer told me whatever I do get one that has more than 1/2 HP reguardless of the make. He said he has used both "hand " grinder and a good "blade sharpener". I don't see me with a good shop and bench,with a pile of blades using a hand grinder. I like many of you keep spare blades with me all the time.

7. bladecutter582

Anyone have any thoughts on technique with this unit.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You want the 88-023 grinder. It has the nicer adjustable wheel.

This is where we got ours. Good price and fast shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OREGON-GRINDER-...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

It works great. Now if you hit something or dont sharpen often it will take more passes to get it nice and sharp and you can heat up the blade with any grinder.

Here are some I sharpened with our oregon grinder.

[​IMG]

9. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

IS there a way to dial in the angle that is recommended for a particular mower on these blade grinders. I have used a angle grinder but haaving a hard time keeping angle and not rounding edges.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Its best to start out with a new blade and adjust the grinding wheel to match the factory edge then lock down the 2 lock knobs and leave it there. You will always have the correct angle on the blade and they come out real sharp.