1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying a Quick 32

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willjones4, Feb 23, 2008.

1. willjones4

willjones4 LawnSite Member

I have decided Im going with the BOP Quickie 32. I would like opinions on an issue. Is it worth the extra $200 to get electric start and one more hp (Samurai) or is the Ninja with recoil start and a 15 horse Kawi plenty?
  2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with ya Will Jones. I'm getting the Quick 32 15hp Kawi. Just MHO of course, but a battery is just another potential headache as far as I am concerned. You go with a battery, you will need a charger. Those stinkin trickle chargers, I don't care how much money you spend, are a huge pain in the A##. I've gone through all that with my marine batteries. Even a $250 charger blew up a battery on me. So, let some LCO get his little chuckle because I have to pull start my WB. It's just more reliable with less headaches for me. One less thing to go wrong.

That 32 w/15hp should be a beast at mulching and picking up leaves. That's a lot of hp per inch of cutting blade. Of course, I could be all wrong, as this will be my first WB, but I think not. I'm gettin pretty stoked... just got my new (albeit small) trailer for the Quickie.

I am buying a lot of equipment this year, as I go from clueless newbie last year to some semblence of a professional LCO this year. Because of that, cash is tight. Will you buy the $300+ Accelerator bagger? I'm thinking if I can find something cheaper to use at least until fall, I might go that way.

In any case, good luck!
  3. willjones4

I, too, am outfitting this year after one season with a JD tractor, 20 inch Murray, yes Murry 3.5 horse push mower and homeowner trimmer, blower. I manged to land 12 yards so far and am expecting to add 8-10 more. I had business cards and fridge magnets made up. Im not really trying to go big. Im more of a part timer. I do expect a huge increase in my productivity this year, though. I also bought all Echo trimmer, stick edger, blower.

Thank you for the points you made about the electric start. I want to keep it simple. This should still be a Cadillac compared to what I used last year.

Good luck to you as well...:drinkup:

btw, no I wont buy the catcher yet. I am getting the mulch kit, though...
  4. Whitey4

We seem to be on parallel paths, Will. I carried over only 8 accounts, and still might dump three of them yet. I've picked up 6 new ones, hope to close 2 more on Monday. I'd be thrilled with 20 by the time the season starts up here in NY. This is my full time gig though, I just got certified for pesticides, and 90% of my accounts will be full service... ferts, apps, mainentance.

The difference in billing between mowing and full service, in annual billings are $14k compared to $40k+. With some installations, deep root feedings, etc, I hope to bill out $50k on 20 accounts. I have some very high end customers. I hope to grow to 20 this year, 35 next year. That's all I'm looking for.

I have a part time seasonal gig on the side.... it's in the "green industry", but that's all I care to say about it. I do that about 16 hours a week. That gig allows me to buy some ...er... ah... "green products" VERY cheaply.

I will pass on the mulching kit for now.... these customers want their grass bagged. I'll get the mulching kit before fall cleanups start. I'll likely find a way to shell out the cash for the Accelerator bag. That, some spare blades and a belt.... and go from there. When will you order yours? I'm looking at March 5 or so. I figure I will need some practice time.

Here's to bein Quick! :drinkup:
  5. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to make the same decision...when I bought my Quick 36, I chose to get the electric start and I am glad I did so....because it comes with an hour meter and you can have it fitted with the headlight assembly....besides it is just convient as hell to just turn the key and roll!!!!
  6. Whitey4

The electric start is not a big deal to me, given my opinion on batteries as stated earlier, but I will miss not having the hour meter. If your go with the electirc start, I think it's wise to have a second battery for backup. Just more trouble than it's worth to me, but we all have our own likes and dislikes. Looks like I pull the tirgger on my Quickie 32 tomorrow.

I'll order the Acclerator bagger, extra baldes, a belt, and will go with the 15 hp Kawi recoil start. Hopefully, ordering the bagger with the mower will save me some shipping costs. That bagger by itself costs a lot to ship. My first walk behind.... I'm as excited as a teenager going on his first date!
  7. Quick36

Quick36 LawnSite Member

You can save some of your hard earned money because extra blades and belts will be FREE! :waving:
  8. Whitey4

9. willjones4

So, if the battery dies on the electric can you just reach down and pull it or does it not have a pull cord?
  10. willjones4

I tried to buy mine last night and today but it kept saying my card was declined. I know for a fact I have more than enough in my account to cover it. Unless maybe the credit card server isnt turned on during the weekend? :confused: Anyway, I will call tomorrow and order it...