buying a route!?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shade tree landscaping, Jul 19, 2007.

1. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Just a question, I am tihnking of buying a route from a freind of mine. there are roughly 35 lawns on the route, mostley side by side yards. He is selling them b/c they are out of the way for him. My question is he what is the "rite" ammount to pay. He is asking for 1month's gross on all the lawns. Is that too much? everyone is on a contract for the year so I could def make my money back and then some before the year is out. any and all help would be much appreicated! Thanks in advance

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If you get contracts for yourself, one month's gross I believe is very fair. I have been considering selling one of my routes next season for the same reason. At least one month's gross is what I'm figuring.:)

3. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt pay more than 1 month. Id try to go down to 3 weeks. You KNOW he wants to get rid of em, so HAGGLE! I guess it also depends on how bad you want the work

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I got 3 months for a premium full service route. When people have a lot of lawns in a row.............they are always the cheap one on the block. You will no doubt be working hard for your money.

5. shade tree landscaping

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

At this point of the year, I'd say 1 month is fair.

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

well, you pay one month's gross, then you still have the chance to double, maybe tripple your investment. then next year i'm sure a majority of them will stay with you to renew their contract. good opertunity, at a good price.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Seems fair. I don't think I'd haggle down to 3 weeks, one month's isn't bad, and even if you lose 50% of the customers next year, your ROI will not be bad.

9. shade tree landscaping

thanks for the input guys. I didnt think it was a bad deal @ all, could make back my money in aug, and then profit from it sept and oct.