buying a small lawn care business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Acorn, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

Hi,

I'm new to the site. I've operated a lawncare/landscaping busines for going on 7 years. An old friend of mine has one as well that he is selling (customers and equipment) He has an 18' tandem traylor, a coupld of walk behinds (48" toro and 54" JD) a 3 line trimmers, a new Honda 22" mower, a couple of other 22" commercial mowers plate tamper, and a few other odds and ends. I already told him I can't afford his 2 trucks. He also has 35 customers to go with it.

We only have about a 22 week season here and there would be no guarantees on customer retension for the upcoming season. However I know they are all good customers paying ($500-700)for small properties.

I am interested as it would double my lawn maintenance customer list.

Any comments on what all that is worth or how to go about making a reasonable (but in my favour ) offer would be appreciated

Thanks

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

will they want plowing, and will you be able to do that for them? they may just go to someone who plows as well.

maybe just buy the equip?unless all you want is the customers, but then you have a bunch of stuff sitting that cost $

22 weeks that is rough.

search as there are a few discussions on buying out people.

NON COMPETE CLAUsE!!!!:cool:

3. I would offer to take the accounts on a commission basis.
    Pay X % on $ collected for mowing from that customer next year.
    Puts the risk on him not you, but if they are good accounts he will make some money.

Equipment would be separate issue.