Buying a Trimmer - Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, May 7, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I've been looking into various trimmers and already did the search on here and found reviews featuring almost every brand and model...

Currently, I'm using a *GASP* Ryobi.. Damn thing cost like $110 and I haven't been able to kill it yet. I use the .80 Echo cross-fire trimmer line and it does fine (so I think). And being it's just trimming and not brush-cutting it really does ok.. Thing has to be 8 years old or so, it's the 775r model which is a straigt shaft trimmer, 31cc 2 cycle engine that has a 17" cutting path.

Now the kicker is that over time, I've picked up the various attachments. The 2 that I do use are the hedge/shrub trimmers and the tiller for loosening up small areas of soil for seed, etc. It also works fine.

What I'm wondering is this:

I also had a Crapsman blower.. Decided to "upgrade" and picked up a Redmax EB7001. I couldn't believe the difference between the 2. I had no idea blowers were even made that strong... <G> So I now know the value firsthand between homeowner and commercial grade equipment.. Will I get the same kind of benefit between a Ryobi trimmer and a commercial grade one? The problem is that on the blowers, the specs weren't even close.. It was like racing a Corvette against a Hyundai. <G> For the trimmers, the Ryobi specs actually seem to be in the general ball park as the other made trimmers.... Actually it's a 31 CC engine against others that are like 25.4, etc.. So go figure. <G>

Note that I always trim and then I use the split-boom part of the Ryobi and turn the head 90 degrees so it's cutting up and down and I use that to edge. I've gotten very good at it and I know there is the huge debate about string edging vs metal blade edgers, but I string edge for now, none the less.....

So, what model trimmer should I be looking at in particular?

I *THINK* the most popular votes are : Stihl FS-85rt (is that the correct model for split-boom?), Shindaiwa T-260 or T-270 and the Redmax SRM-2410....

Anyone have any first hand experience with any of these or any other model to strongly recommend? Thanks!

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use a shindiawa T-230 and like it. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the same trimmer.

MATT

3. JasperStorm

JasperStorm LawnSite Member
    from WA

SRM 2410 is an Echo, not Redmax. Both of these companies make good trimmers, I use Echo.

4. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the Echo PAS system...

Go to your local Echo dealer and ask for a catalog...you can put a ton of attachments on them and they are reasonably priced.

5. Buba

Buba LawnSite Member
    from PA

Do yourself a favor and try or demo a Redmax. Less weight and more power than most. Same goes for their back pack blowers. Most wind and less weight, I've tried them all. The only problem is that they are not sold at Home Depot or Lowes, and it might be hard to find a dealer. Most dealers in my area have taken it on. They also have a 2 year warranty. Just a thought.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Doog,
    As for me, if you want a trimmer, then get a trimmer for trimming. I'm using the Redmax BT225 bend shaft. I'm different. However, the unit is only 10 lbs. and I swing a 23" diameter cutting swath, which reallly trims a big area. If you want to swing by my house in Basking Ridge, you can try it and check out the power and how light it is.....
    pete

7. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Demo several, but before you buy, be sure to try the Husqvarna trimmer, either the 323 or 326. Very light, powerful, and a pleasure to use. I have echo and shindaiwa also, but always grab the husky first.

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second chosing the Husqvarna. Very light and powerful. I have a 325L.

9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Very happy with my Echo!!! Reasonably priced, light weight & plenty of power.

10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'll add a 3rd vote for ECHO love all my echo equipment my ECHO fleet is as follows 1 SRM2100 now a brush cutter,1 SRM2601,1 SRM230,1 PB46 HT,1 PB 650, and 1 ES2100 and i'd say the 650 is my favorite ECHO machine by far