buying a truck, read this about insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by supercuts, Nov 14, 2007.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

its time to retire out my 93' F250 and ive been looking at new trucks. i found a new 08 f350 and was at a decent price. called my commercial insurance company to get a price, it was $462 for 6 months on the brand new truck. gave them the vin, msrp, gvw, make, model, supercab, short bed, diesel. they had all that info. all was good, bought the truck. called the insurance today to have them fax the card to the dealer. he told me no problem and that will $900+ for six months. can you see my had steaming over the extra $80/month this truck is going to cost.

went in and complained, they told me that was an tentive price, but depended on actual information on the truck. what is more actual then vin, gvw and all the above??? long story short, get insurance quotes in writing. im so mad i had to share this with everyone so it wont happen to you. ive already called the states Atorrney General's Office. im in the process of submitting my complaint in writing. it was state farm insurance and they are cheaper (usualy) for Commerical veh insurance

if there is anything good about this, its that im picking up a new truck on friday

2. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

We get all our quotes in writing or fax, it only take one time.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Had that happen the end of last month with Erie. Didn't work out to be a huge difference, plus I have all my policies with them.

4. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i had this happen once also, insurance sales lady put down i owned a home, was an aarp member and some other crap, it saved me like 100 bucks a month, i pay, start up the policy and then get a new bill for like 120 bucks more a month, i called and they said yea we did some checking, blah blah blah. I told them i never said any of those things and i had a recorded phone conversation with the sales person. The ignored it after that.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I would start shopping for a differant ins. company/agent.

6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

on a positive note we did shop around. we ended up switching all of our vehles to Progressive, they had the best rates. also, the only veh we had insured commerically was the F550. so, we put the F350 commerical too with the enclosed trailer on the plan for liability. the whole plan, said and done, was only about $400 more than my old plan a year, which includes a brand new truck, commercial policy, and the trailer. we did leave the F550 with state farm because it was soo cheap, $600/year

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say to shop around, Nationwide is cheapest for me, but the new deisel engine for 08 is incredible. It has power, its quiet, and very fast. I have a f-250 deisel and cant even tell a difference when my trailer is on it.