Buying a used BRICKMAN TRUCK

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by J&R Landscaping, Jun 26, 2006.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I was out looking at trucks tonight and came across a few nice ones. They are retired Brickman trucks. All are 1995-1997 Ford F-superduty (450). All 7.3 diesels, autos and all are 2wd. He has a few dump trucks and a few stake body dump trucks.

I took 2 of them for a drive. The one truck I took for a drive had a "brand New tranny" but it was'nt shifting like new at all. The other one was decent with the flaws a work truck of the age should have. I'm going to have my mechanic come look them over.

I was just wondering if any one else would consider buying one or if you think I am making a big mistake.

Also, He has a few of the trucks listed on EBAY so you may have seen them.

2. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

I would run away from a retired work truck. They have usually been used and abused to the point of no return. Unless maybe you were getting it for DIRT cheap.

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

rock hard red clay dirt that is..........whats the price? mileage? most likely, stay away......they have their own mechanics to service the trucks but they are used for WORK and abuse........hard on the brakes, hard on the gas and over loaded is the only way to go

4. J&R Landscaping

Truck has 112k and he is sellingg it for $5500

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

is brickman selling it or is it someone else because theres a brickman really close to me and i never see any trucks for sale and were looking for a dump

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You can dang well take it to the bank that if Brickman has unloaded it, then it is worn slam out cause they don;t get rid of anything until the repairs cost more than it makes.

7. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I agree, just thinking about it, I know what my trucks have gone through and I would never buy one of my trucks if that makes sense. Even though that sounds like a good price for a diesel I still would run

8. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

where are these brickman people out of?...i see them in town often...just wondering out loud

9. J&R Landscaping

a mechnaic bought over 20 of the trucks and about a dozen trailers that they were getting rid of. He is selling them as he bought them.

I checked with the brickman branch in Langhorne earlier today and they were able to give me the repair history of the trucks that I had VIN #'s for.
    They just bought 200 new trucks so they don't need these anymore.

10. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a decent deal for the mileage...5500 isnt bad at all. Does it have the crew box on it?
    As someone said, it may be worn out but they could be selling and buying new for tax reasons, or just trying to keep a modern looking fleet.