buying a used Exmark...

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by bluegate, Jan 2, 2004.

1. bluegate

bluegate LawnSite Member
    from 27312

I'm thinking of buying an Exmark 23 HP Kaw. 52" one year old, 400 hours from a lawn service. It's been well maintained, although it looks beat up, mechanically it's great.
    Advice?
    price?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I take it that its the HP? 1 season on it with that low hours maybe $4000-$5000. That mower is close to $7000 new plus tax.

Get the serial number and post if for the eXmark gurus. They can tell you what year it is and when it was bought. Maybe some other good info about that unit.

3. bluegate

bluegate LawnSite Member
    from 27312

Thanks for the response. The serial number is 273863 and it's an LHP5223KA.
    Any further comments on this unit would be appreciated.Once I get my Exmark, I'm counting on you guys to help me out with my new "relationship". My main workhorse has been a 23HP 48"deck John Deere product. It's been love hate all along and I couldn't do what I do without it. Thanks to John Deere, I learned all the ins and outs of troubleshooting a mower. I'm upgrading to the Exmark because I'm tired of mowing eight hours a week and wearing out shoulders, elbows and sense of humor in the process.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

BlueGate,

That unit was built in January of 01 and sold in March of 01. The muffler recall has been completed and that's about all the information we have.

As far as value is concerned it's a tough call due to condition, region and maintenance. The good news is that the HP's have been solid machines so if it's been taken care of it should have a great deal of life left in it.

Thanks

Terry

5. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Terry,

I have an '03 Exmark Lazer HP 52" with 23hp Kawi. It has around 330 hours on the machine. The machine is in great condition. Just minor scrapes on the deck from chain link fence. What kind of price are we looking at for trade-in value at a dealer? Also, how much is it worth if I try and sell it on my own? The trade-in value this dealer gave me I think is way off. Thanks for your help Terry.

6. eXmark

ZTRguy,

Both questions are all but impossible to answer. Used value of equipment is really determined by the individual. A dealer will offer you a trade in allowance that will allow him to make some profit on the new unit as well as the used unit that youÂ’re trading. He's taking some risk because there may some "unknown" wear that may show up after he brings the unit it or re-sells it to the second owner. He must give himself a little margin so that he can take care of the mower or take care of the new customer if he so desires should something go wrong shortly after the purchase.

The value at trade-in or being sold outright is really determined by the market in your region. There is a publication that some dealers will use to determine used equipment value similar to "NADA" or "Kelley" that are used in the auto industry. We don't subscribe so I really could not give an estimate. You may want to contact some of your local dealers to determine if they have a copy of this publication. Your local bank may have a means to estimate equipment value as well but it really comes down to what someone is willing to give you for it.

Good luck

Thanks

Terry

7. bluegate

bluegate LawnSite Member
    from 27312

Thanks again for the replies. I bought the mower in question. I was told the machine had been used for one season, which in my feeble brain meant it was one year old. Now I know that it's a three year old mower. I paid $4,800 which my Exmark dealer said was a Great Deal, since new it would have cost $7799. But if it's three years old, how much did it cost new?
    Perhaps they meant a Great Deal of money!
    Have I been taken to the cleaner's on this one?

8. eXmark

bluegate,

That unit would have sold new for around $7400 depending upon the dealer.

Personally I'd say it's probably worth what you paid for it. It really doesn't have that many hours on it and you should get plenty of use out of it.

Used equipment is just like anything else. It's worth exactly what you can get out of it in many cases. A 300 hour machine in one region may bring a great deal more than that same machine in another region.

Look at it like this. If it was not worth the $4800 then you would not have bought it.

If the mower has gotten even decent care you've got a great machine that should give you great service.

Congratulations and please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Terry

9. bluegate

bluegate LawnSite Member
    from 27312

10. bluegate

bluegate LawnSite Member
    from 27312

Terry, thanks for the encouragement. I just posted a quote from you without this message! So here it is again, in context.

This may get in to the realm of philosophy "If it were not worth 4800 I would not have bought it"--so what this means is that this particular machine is worth 4800 to me. Hm. It was purchased trustingly with help from my local dealer, whose judgement I rely on.
    I was told it had been used one season, which to me meant I was buying a one year old mower. What it was worth to me was about 4000, but I was convinced by my buddies here that I didn't understand what a great deal it was at 4800. So, what do I know? I trust my local exmark guru, I buy. Is it worth 4800 to me? I'll know that better after I get about five years of mowing from it. I'm ready to fall in love with this machine which will be, hopefully, the saving grace with these many acres.
    Meanwhile, I am very happy to hear you express that I didn't pay too much. A used machine was my only option and, hey, the first owner did the breaking in for me.