Buying a used Power Rake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by modo, Mar 8, 2004.

1. modo

modo LawnSite Member

Hi All,

My first time on this site, great info!!

I'm being offered a used power rake for $400, it is a former rental unit.
    Its about 12 years old. The guy selling it sounds like he's been taking good care of it over the years as he babied it with frequent oil changes.

Can anyone tell me if its wise to buy a piece of equipment that has probably seen better days but is at a good price? If it lasts two weeks it will be even with the cost of renting one.
  2. Not a bad price if its in good shape - depending on make/model
    1. flail blades for excessive wear
    2. shafts and bearings that hold shafts
    3. belt and idler pulley
    replacing all these yourself would run about $200 (my bluebird)
    If i was sure about the engine I'd do it** - if not about 1/2 that

**how are your mechanical skills - if you will have to pay somebody to work on it best best would be to buy new.

BTW - I've run the same bluebird for 11 years, this will be 12. Its on second engine, shafts and bearings and 4th set flails. I suspect mine has more hours than a rental would. Its been a good machine, very durable.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a tine type, or knives?
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Its too old, I'd pass. I have one thats old and I spent way more than I expected after I had ordered the major parts. There is a lot you will not see untill its apart. These units take a beating...

5. modo

modo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone.
    I believe it is the tine type. I'll definitely check the shape the tines and belts are in before making any offers. I know these machines take a beating. A rental I used to use while working for another company used to break on an almost daily basis, the belt was always coming off. One time we even ripped the handle right off. I guess I'll have to see it in person to get a real feel for it.

I doubt parts would be easy/quick to find for this puppy either.