Buying a Used Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Blades Lawn Maintenance, Dec 26, 2012.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

in the market for a 3/4 ton gas truck is a good place to be. Used ones are like buy one get one free.... not really but 03-06 6.0 liter GM's with 30-50 k on the clock go for $12-13k. How can you beat that! They have been the same forever now, aside from sheet metal. And new ones are 25-30.
  2. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

A 3/4 ton will be able to haul more then a 1/2 ton -which is nice to have - even if it's rare that you'll be hauling a heavy load.

If you plan on owning the truck a while, then get a diesel. More then 5 years - diesel. Less then 5 - gasser. Like 4 seasons said - the GM 6.0 is a great engine , except the mileage.
  3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

The time frame (5 year) thing doesnt make alot of sense to me though. It would be mileage per year if anything. Even then I would say you would have to do a heck of alot of miles of towing heavy for diesel to be cheaper. The other thing is diesels hold their value so well that they arent a dime a dozen like the gas jobs. Entry price and maint on the gasser cant be denied. Its so cheap I wish I didnt buy a new 07 back then. But hey I was 18 and wanted the new body style.
  4. show-n-go

show-n-go LawnSite Member

The other thing about buying a 3/4 ton or bigger is the bigger brakes that you egt with it. Even towing 3000lbs all the time it will be nice to have a truck with big enough brakes to get you stopped in a hurry. Sure a 1/2 ton will do it but from the safety factor plus the 3/4 is built to work, the 1/2 ton is halfway made for soccer moms and hauling kids.